Making Additional Modifications

neumannu47

It's taking me a lot of trial and error to get the right combination of files to create a successful slipstream of XP SP3. How do I pick up where I left off using nLite? Is that what "Load Last Session" does? For example, I just added IE7 to the build (I hope), and I will need to go back and add the critical updates. I assume that I have to go through the complete build again since the cabs have to be compressed. Is there a short cut to add additional updates?

Also, I grabbed all of the updates with Windows Updates Downloader, but I'm not clear how to include those in nLite. The first time I tried, I added everything in the download folder, but I got tons of errors. Then I downloaded the xable.net update list, which worked great EXCEPT that I still had a ton of Windows Updates to do after it was loaded. Windows 7 was not part of the package. I sort of understand the concept, but I am definitely missing some fundamentals. Any guidance you can provide is very much welcome. :unsure:

As you said, you load last session.ini with an untouched source, add whatever else u need and let nLite run. As far as xable and his update packs, he makes mistakes. Sometime Windows Update Downloader lists are old and can be confusing. If you are not slipstreaming IE7/8 or WMP 10/11 my list is 100% accurate(I don't use IE or WMP so I don't keep a list of updates the newer versions). Take a look at the link in my signature and compare it to what you updates you have. Download or delete any items not listed.

As you said, you load last session.ini with an untouched source, add whatever else u need and let nLite run.

When I started the project, I let nLite grab the source from the XP installation CD and copy it to a folder on my hard drive. Are you saying that I have to start at that same point each time, or is there a way to just add the additional updates to the folder on the hard drive that contains the prior session results?

As far as xable and his update packs, he makes mistakes. Sometime Windows Update Downloader lists are old and can be confusing. If you are not slipstreaming IE7/8 or WMP 10/11 my list is 100% accurate(I don't use IE or WMP so I don't keep a list of updates the newer versions). Take a look at the link in my signature and compare it to what you updates you have. Download or delete any items not listed.

I want to slipstream IE7 and WMP11. I have learned how to do IE7, but I don't understand what needs to be done with nLite to enable me to install WMP11. After I build a disc, I'm installing it on a computer and running Windows Update to see what's missing. It's a laborious process, but I don't know another way to get it right.

Your list is excellent. These updates can be hard to find. If you would, please tell me 1) what do I need to do to include WMP11, and 2) how do I include a folder that contains a set of utilities, for example, to be copied to the hard drive during installation? In other words, when the XP installation is complete, there is a folder called Utils that has any number of utilities or scripts.

Thanks for all of your hard work. This task must be a labor of love!

When I started the project, I let nLite grab the source from the XP installation CD and copy it to a folder on my hard drive. Are you saying that I have to start at that same point each time, or is there a way to just add the additional updates to the folder on the hard drive that contains the prior session results?

You have to start over from the beginning. I would copy your CD to the hard drive. Don't touch it but instead copy it again to another location and work on THAT copy. Any time you need to do a run delete the 2nd copy you are working on and recreate it by copying it from you UNTOUCHED copy.

For WMP 11, use Windows Media Player 11 Slipstreamer.

To copy a folder over use the $OEM$ folder.

In your unattended section, add this line.

[unattended]

OemPreinstall="Yes"

Create a folder called $OEM$ parallel to i386.

Inside $OEM$, create another folder named $1.

Inside $1, create the folder you want copied over.

It will wind up in C:\<folder name> if C:\ is where you installed Windows.

See http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/18/

Edited by -X-

You have to start over from the beginning. I would copy your CD to the hard drive. Don't touch it but instead copy it again to another location and work on THAT copy. Any time you need to do a run delete the 2nd copy you are working on and recreate it by copying it from you UNTOUCHED copy.

From my experience, you can integrate SP3 to an untouched source and consider the result as an "untouched" SP3 source. This will avoid small quirks with the ini file and make you gain few minutes each next times.

Which is the proper forum for asking why a particular hotfix did not install? I'd like to fine tune my slipstream. Plus, I don't understand the details of .NET 1.1 and WMP11. I assume that nLite is not the correct forum.

Thanks for the help so far!

g-force, I'll answer your questions a little later, but for now, I don't understand what "Load Last Session" accomplishes. I have to complete the tweaks every time I do a new build. It seems that the session information should be for remembering some decisions already implemented.

Which is the proper forum for asking why a particular hotfix did not install? I'd like to fine tune my slipstream. Plus, I don't understand the details of .NET 1.1 and WMP11. I assume that nLite is not the correct forum.

I guess you are working with Media Center edition, are you ?

If you are stuck with Installing .NETfx1.1sp1, search for a one click (switchless) installer & add it as 1 T13 process. (YES, you CANT integrate .NET - just addon). If you have other softwares dependent on .NET then (even if they are integrable) you'll have to add them to RunOnceEX.

If I'm closer to your problem, let us know - there's a pack of geeks waiting here to help you out.

I guess you are working with Media Center edition, are you ?

No, just XP Pro.

If you are stuck with Installing .NETfx1.1sp1, search for a one click (switchless) installer & add it as 1 T13 process. (YES, you CANT integrate .NET - just addon). If you have other softwares dependent on .NET then (even if they are integrable) you'll have to add them to RunOnceEX.

Unfortunately I don't understand what you are saying, and I don't know what a T13 process. When I do a Windows Update, I'm prompted to install .NET 1.1, which is what I hoped to do to the slipstreamed disk.

If I'm closer to your problem, let us know - there's a pack of geeks waiting here to help you out.

Thanks for hanging in there. I know it's just as frustrating trying to answer a question as it is to formulating the question. While I'm a computer expert, believe it or not, I have no experience with slipstreaming and nLite, other than what you see here plus one successful slipstream a long time ago.

Hmm, I had your problems otherwise.

Anyway, Now I think got it.

Here's where you wanna be 1st of all (to understand the things more effectively) >>> http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp

Consult the REFERENCE section - for better grapple over the subject.

Now, after you know how to add softwares other than slipstreaming, then you would like to have the .NET installer that suites you.

http://download.ryanvm.net/files/dotnet11sp1.exe

http://download.ryanvm.net/files/dotnet2.exe

& the main RyanVM site link for your additional need >>> http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/

Now I think, you'll need 2 days to study, understand, implicate & get the things sorted :hello: