Desktop PC refuses to start

Just today, my PC has suddenly decided to give up the ghost. In fact, I was using this PC earlier today, and shut it down just fine. Now it refuses to start at all.

When I press the power button, I hear the hard drives spinning up, and the CD drive shows some activity and is fully responsive to the eject button. The HDD activity light shows up for about 30 or so seconds, maybe less, and then goes off. The power light does not go on and there is no activity on the screen. I can hear the graphics card fan still whirring. When I hit the reset button, it only makes the CD drive flash (this is what normally happens when I reboot) and the HDD activity light goes up for another 30 seconds. If I hold the power button for 5 seconds, the system reboots as above, and after that the reset and power buttons are completely unresponsive.

Nothing seems to smell of burning. I've left the system in this state for around 15 minutes now and it's not doing anything.

If there is any more information I can provide, let me know.

Thanks.

-check your vga cable is fastened.

-get the power plug off for 10 seconds then retry.

-get the (if not integrated) graphic card off , the memory modules off, wipe contacts with a cloth, put them back in and retry.

If still nothing, I vote for dying Power Supply.

Dying power supply would p*** me off very much, as the power supply is brand new. The thought crossed my mind though. That'll teach me to buy cheap power supplies...

I'm a bit hesitant to touch my graphics card though. They're very fragile, aren't they? I don't think the problem is with the graphics card though, since I would have thought those would break a little more slowly (artifacts in game and the like). Oh well, I may have to turn this thread into "where can I get a decent, reasonably priced power supply?" if this is the problem.

Dying power supply would p*** me off very much, as the power supply is brand new. The thought crossed my mind though. That'll teach me to buy cheap power supplies...

How come your PSU is brand new?  Have you just replaced it because the last one was faulty or have you just upgraded the PSU?  Do you still have the last one in that case?

While I'm tempted to ask if you've checked the output voltages of the PSU, I keep forgetting that just because I am an Electronics Engineer and have umpteen digital and analogue meters around not everyone has access to such tools.

Even then fault-finding on switched-mode PSU's is sometimes awkward, it may give the correct output voltages off load, and though a decent PSU can supply some very heavy output currents, you can still get faults outside the PSU, that will 'fold' the PSU due to excessive load.

Sometimes only substitution may provide a definite answer. However rarely do the words cheap and good appear in the same sentence when it comes to the PSU.

Edited by lightning slinger

It's brand new because the old one was also on the way out, it was shutting down my PC after 15 minutes had elapsed. Although I do have the old one still.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to pick one of those meters up from somewhere, but now that I have a significantly higher amount of money to spend, I am sort of leaning towards just getting a new PSU that works well.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, could I ask for what qualities I should be looking for in a PSU if I should buy one? Or what PSUs in particular are decent?

have umpteen digital and analogue meters around not everyone has access to such tools.

What? No fancy LeCroy scope handy? ;) (Not that I do either, only Tektronix & HP units around here)

Fault finding for the average person can be fun indeed. Swapping is the easiest and quickest thing for sure. Although one can get to the pins while the ATX connector is in and the computer is running with the probes of any old multimeter (that's only very a basic test though)...

However rarely do the words cheap and good appear in the same sentence when it comes to the PSU.
if the price of a PSU is too good to be true it probably is.

QFT x2. When it comes to power supplies, you usually get what you're paying for. Although some nice companies make some good and inexpensive basic units (like these which can be had for like $35 when on special), and some ghetto companies have expensive models that are all about looks and marketing (too many to list). One should stay away from generic, no-name cheapos. Some people need a disaster to happen before they learn that lesson (seen too many of them take out half the computer before)