.net install - svcpack.inf on XP with SP3

I have been perusing many pages on the dotnet unattended installations and feel so confused... :wacko:

Most of the posts I have read have been for XP-SP2 distributions that slip streams SP3 - our MS ISO already has SP3 on it (no slipstream of SP3). My understanding is that SP3 already contains .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0. When I run a base install, run all the updates I find that WU wants to install KB951847 - but which exe is being installed?

If I manually install the 'family update' - it works and all the SP's for 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 show up in the Add/Remove Programs but if I try to run during the unattended via svcpack.inf then there is an error regarding .Net 2.0 not existing so therefore can't continue.... and no .net SP's are installed.

Exec criteria is that we have to do things the manual way - ie no nlite, no hf installer magic. I might be able to get away with using something for speed but need to be able to document how to setup the .net manually.

I hope someone is able to shed some light into my oh-so-dark unattended installation... ;)

Thanks, Strel for the reply... Our mis-information was that MS ISO (XP with SP3) did contain it...

Unfortunately THE project constraints are that we have to configure the updates/integrations by hand... I have been cruising through the link and have gleaned some important points but it is hard with 17 pages to skim... :)

Wait, I was wrong in one thing, XP SP3 OS has no .NET framework installed but there's one .NET 1.1 framework ready to install in the CD.

Don't cruise the whole thread, all the information you need is in the first post. And if you want to know how things are done you only have to cruise the script (and maybe the .mst files if you want to know something about the fixes this method apply). And if you do this and have questions, simply ask.

But if your restrictions are to not use any external method than manual, and if you don't need any of the features that this method has, you can avoid embroilment by simply using the original installers in the windows setup process. The guide of this method can be useful to you, in this case to understand how to avoid potential problems, as what the guide says about .NET applies to the original installers.

• 2 weeks later...

i use runonce

Microsoft .NET Framework V3.5 SP1 FULL w/KB961118 1.04

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?...net&start=0

http://www.doitrightconsulting.net/forum/v...p?f=8&t=577

This is a multimode installer so you have access to the following switches:

-ai = Silent

-ai1 = Passive

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /VE /D "Microsoft.NET Framework" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Microsoft.NET_Framework\dotNet35SP1_1.04.exe -ai " /f

Edited by --=ddSHADOW=--