WinsetupfromUSb and multisource

Hi,

First, thank you all for this little, but very useful program.

I'm having some problems to make a error free installation of windows (xp, xp64, 2k, 2k3, 2k364).

All of them complains about some files that setup cannot copy, but finishes the installation, if i ignore then.

In my AIO DVD, all windows installations are working fine.

The DVD has 5 windows versions, all of then HFSLIPed, nLited (didn't take out "manual install") and, where possible, DriversPacked.

I'm using it as a source for winsetupfromusb. Is this supported?

Another question, i can't get WPI run on first logon as the usb drive letter changes. Is there a workaround?

Thanks.

...The DVD has 5 windows versions, all of then HFSLIPed, nLited (didn't take out "manual install") and, where possible, DriversPacked.

I'm using it as a source for winsetupfromusb. Is this supported?

This is not tested scenario, as you can guess there are many possible variations...

How was the multi DVD created, what files were changed?

What files are reported as missing? Stick with one version, let's troubleshoot it in a new topic, attach the corresponding txtsetup.sif. Check if files are present in your source and on the USB stick.

As you were warned by the program, after first setup of any Windows different than XP SP2/3 some files will be deleted, so after setup you need to synchronize the USB stick with the source.

Methods which do not have that limitation:

http://www.msfn.org/board/2-t121446.html

"Work in progress"- http://www.msfn.org/board/install-xp-ram-l...ge-t137714.html

...the usb drive letter changes. Is there a workaround?
This should not be happening, USB stick should be U: and remain this.

What drive letter did it get during Text mode?

What letter at first logon?

Edited by ilko_t

Hello Ilko_t,

How was the multi DVD created, what files were changed?

What files are reported as missing? Stick with one version, let's troubleshoot it in a new topic, attach the corresponding txtsetup.sif. Check if files are present in your source and on the USB stick.

As you were warned by the program, after first setup of any Windows different than XP SP2/3 some files will be deleted, so after setup you need to synchronize the USB stick with the source.

The DVD was created in these steps:

HFSLIP sliptreams all the windows updates to date.

nLite makes some tweaks, remove some components and makes the unattended setup file.

After that, DriversPack are integrated.

And i finish it using this guide: http://www.msfn.org/board/7-t74862.html.

HFSLIP changes a lot of files. I don't know all of them.

List of files that setup cannot copy:

ie4uinit.mui

iedkcs32.mui

mshta.mui

msrating.mui

6to4svc.dll

jscript.mui

vbscript.mui

The first is always ie4uinit.mu_, not only in XP x86, but let's stick with it only.

Files are present in the source.

What drive letter did it get during Text mode?

What letter at first logon?

The usb drive get letter D: on textmode, and E: in first logon, only get U: on server 2k3 only one time.

TXTSETUP.zip

Edited by Ikky_Phoenix

The attached txtsetup.sif is for Windows 2000. Open up all TXTSET00.sif, 01, 02 etc. you have in root and search for "strings"- in that section you will find out which file for which Windows version is. Attach the one for XP x86.

The usb drive get letter D: on textmode, and E: in first logon, only get U: on server 2k3 only one time.
Read this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=137508

Run the new MkMigrateInf_c.cmd:

MkMigrateInf_c.cmd H: c:\migrate.inf

Change H: with the drive letter of your USB stick.

Copy c:\migrate.inf to all ~BT directories on the USB stick, replacing the existing migrate.inf.

Does that fix USB drive letter to U: ?

And i finish it using this guide: http://www.msfn.org/board/7-t74862.html.
There could be some issues if any of the slipstreamed install packages use hard coded paths, e.g. %CDROM%\PRO1\I386\, will try to sort them out once we fix the other issues.
only get U: on server 2k3 only one time
Was that on the same hardware? Edited by ilko_t

Sorry, this is the correct txtsetup.sif :blushing:

Starting from scratch again.

Mkmigrateinf_c.cmd didn't fix the problem, tried in 2 computers with different hardware.

It's a usb hard disk.

When it get U: was at home in a nforce 2 machine.

Host OS is windows server 2008 x64, do you think it could be the problem?

The above list of files, except the dll, are from ie8 sliptreamed by HFSLIP.

Thanks for your help! :thumbup

migrate.zip

txtsetup.zip

Edited by Ikky_Phoenix

...(xp, xp64, 2k, 2k3, 2k364)...
...It's a usb hard disk...

That's another limitation, x64 versions and USB hard disk.

I'd rather not to waste your and my time in something which won't work properly for your needs.

Wimb's tool would suit much better:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=121446

Although overall a bit more complicated to get used to, it does not have the limitations mentioned.

Edited by ilko_t

The issues with those files not found is because there are duplicated entries about them in txtsetup.sif:

ie4uinit.mui = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0,ie4uinit.exe.mui

ie4uinit.mui = 1,,,,,,,1005,0,0,ie4uinit.exe.mui

iedkcs32.mui = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0,iedkcs32.dll.mui

iedkcs32.mui = 1,,,,,,,1005,0,0,iedkcs32.dll.mui

mshta.mui = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0,mshta.exe.mui

mshta.mui = 1,,,,,,,1005,0,0,mshta.exe.mui

and so on.

This way mshta.mui should be copied to \windows\system32 and renamed to mshta.exe.mui, as well as to \windows\system32\en-US\.

Default behavior of setup when launched from HD-like media, having msdosinitiated=0 in WINNT.SIF is to delete files as they are extracted in order to preserve disk space, by default those files in ~LS and ~BT folders are considered temporary.

This method of installing avoids that behavior by write-protecting USB via registry entry, read from migrate.inf during Text mode. Thus Setup attempts to delete files are unsuccessful.

This registry entry works for XP SP2/3 x86 only.

Apparently, when a file has been attempted to be deleted, it's marked as deleted, although it's still on the USB media, maybe write cache plays role here, cannot comment further.

As the file is considered as deleted, next attempts to copy the same file will fail with error "file not found".

Original MS media does not have duplicated entries in txtsetup.sif. No idea if those files should be present in both directories too.

The media you have would fail with the same errors if Setup is started from Winnt32.exe, as this time those files will be deleted indeed and the error message will be "true".

When the same source is used from a CD-like media, those errors don't happen, as the files are not deleted, or attempted to be.

This would not happen if using this, as msdosinitiated=0 tells Setup not to delete files:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=119742

Which method is what Wimb uses in his program.

Hope that helps you understand the process and your issues.