New XP pro x64 install can not connect to internet

dispatch88

I just installed XP Professional 64 bit on my desktop. Unfortunately I can not connect to the internet through both wireless and ethernet connection.

I have very little experience working with x64. I installed it to allow me to use all 7 Gb of RAM. I am a student and my major relies on having top notch performance.

I did some research on google but could quite find someone else with my same problem. I went into the Command promt and did ipconfig/all, this is what i received:

Windows IP configuration

Host Name ...................:jarvis

Primary Dns Suffix.........:

Node Type.....................:Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled.........: No

WINS Proxy Enabled.......: No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific Dns Suffix.....:

description................................: Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter

Physical Address........................: 00-08-54-93-7A-73

DHCP Enabled...........................: Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled..........: Yes

IP Address................................: 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask.............................: 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway........................:

DHCP Server.............................: 255.255.255.255

I dont know much about this, but I know enough to recognize that an IP Address of 0.0.0.0 is not exactly an IP address.

I tried ipconfig /renew but I was given:

An error occured while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

So, what do I do to get my internet?

EDIT* Um, well I just did ipconfig /all again to show my room mate my problem, and now it says:

Host Name ...................:jarvis

Primary Dns Suffix.........:

Node Type.....................:Unknown

IP Routing Enabled.........: No

WINS Proxy Enabled.......: No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific Dns Suffix.....:

description................................: Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter

Physical Address........................: 00-08-54-93-7A-73

DHCP Enabled...........................: Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled..........: Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address................................: 169.254.78.199

Subnet Mask.............................: 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway........................:

(it doesnt list DHCP server anymore, not sure why)

I still can not connect to the internet.

Edited by dispatch88

The router IP is 192.168.1.1

The connection type is on automatic configuration DHCP

The internet works fine on every other computer, as well as when I boot the desktop in question into XP 32 bit. Could it be some sort of driver thing? I know 64 bit has a nasty reputation for having poor driver support.

So, I downloaded the drivers which the site said are "windows 64", There was another option for XP but it didnt specify that it was for 64 bit. Anyway, now that I have the file....what do i do with it?

Also, I have already used the CD that came with the Realtek RTL8185 wireless card. I didnt receive any errors while doing it so assume they're working.

Edited by dispatch88

I suspect it isn't the drivers but to install them go to device manager, double click the card, click the driver tab, click the update driver button, browse to the folder with the inf, cat, and sys file and select the inf file, click next, etc. If it installs, it means it's a newer driver. If it complains about the new driver then they haven't updated the driver from the version on your CD. Reboot the computer and see if it fixes it.

I'm far from a networking expert but if the driver doesn't work I think your issues are related to DHCP. You could try setting a static IP. If you dont know how to get the settings, boot into your 32 bit XP, do a ipconfig /all, note down the IP, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers. This wont fix the underlying issues but at least you can use the OS. Hopefully one of our networking experts will chime in.

• 5 years later...

For *some* reason either your DHCP server (usually on the Router) does not work properly or your new XP install does not get properly an IP address.

Usually (but not always) a Router with IP of 192.168.1.1 will provide 254 addresses from 192.168.1.2 up to 192.168.1.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. (if you can access the router configuration page these data are visible), if, by any chance, the DHCP on the router is set to assign addresses in a more limited range (say from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.31) use below the first available IP outside that range below.

Smaller networks might be configured with a more limited Subnet mask, as an example 255.255.255.240, the sunbet mask you input manually MUST be the same as the one in the Router.

So, try opening the TCP/IP properties of your cabled network interface, like here:

TcpIpProperties.png

and try assigning the values:

IP address: 192.168.1.32 <- you can try other values instead of 32, if there is another computer with the same address you will get a notification once you will have applied the settings.

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8 <- this is the Google free DNS server

and see if you have the connection to the Internet.

If this succeeds, the issue may be either on the Router's DHCP Server or in the DHCP Client Service on your machine, see also:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757164(v=ws.10).aspx

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz