Format tools broke my USB keys...

Hello,

Due to several problems while creating my bootable usb keys, I managed to break two perfectly working Usb keys (1 and 2 gb); the second one was brand new. It seems like they didn't like the many format attempts I had to go through.

One key is very unstable : it is being recognized by Windows or Ubuntu but doesn't work. Copying files is hazardous and creating a bootable key is just impossible (HP tool says the key cannot be formatted and Pettousb just doesn't see it). I tried to format with ubuntu, with the regular format tool from Windows, through Disk management, through a command line; it works once in a while...

The second key is not recognized at all : I hear the connecting sound in Windows, the key lights blink for a second and then nothing. No sign of the key anywhere.

Is there a way to have them working again or should I just give up ? Is there a tool for a in-depth format ?

Problem is I'm scared now to buy another key and proceed with creating a bootable key as I feel that I'll just ruin another one...

Thanks !

You are mixing together too many things, and possibly assuming too much.

The symptoms you report are DIFFERENT for the two keys.

First one seems like a "bad" controller (intermittent working).

Second one sounds like a problem in Windows.

First thing to try would be to zero out the first few sectors with a dd-like tool (presuming that both sticks can be seen as "\\.PHYSICALDRIVEn" by windows.

See here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=4015&st=20

then you should get the appropriate Manufacturer Tool for each key and test them, see here for some reference:

http://www.msfn.org/board/not-booting-wins...sb-t127184.html

jaclaz