Divx

winforever

Hey guys,I hope somone can help me.i have divx 6 bundle.and i cant encode Vob's,thats what i want to do.the vobs are not copy protected. Nor did they come from a copy protected dvd. They are stuff from Vhs tape Of me back in 1993 when i was 14,lol.And also from my dvd recorder i taped stuff off tv..Star Trek,lol..Anyway as you can see they are not copy protected Vobs. So everytime i try to drag a vob to the divx encoder it says 'analyzing video'. Then it crashes...Windows 2000 says "The application has generated Errors and will be shut down.An Error log is being created.No matter what i do it wil not work.

I would very much like to use the divx codec. I have two computers and it crashes on both of them.

I have tryed a lot of video converters.And they All crash when they Load the divx codec.basicly anything divx crashes. (Two) Computers With Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (Fresh Install)....I Guess Windows 2000 Dont Like Divx.lol

Error Log

Description:

The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 08/05/2009 @ 11:10:23.579 The exception generated was c000001d at address 004B3BD2 (<nosymbols>)

Any help would be really appreciated.

0xC000001D means illegal instruction. I don't think that would be a missing runtime problem, besides, the divx requirements page doesn't say anything about it and if it needed it, it would likely bundle & install it anyways. I'd still go over that requirements list.

Anyways. We basically have almost nothing to work from. You didn't really state much, and we'd need LOTS more infos

-computer hardware (CPU, etc)

-OS used (SP?) and if you're using any particular protection (AV, etc), and if you have the latest video/sound drivers and directx

-if you have any codecs or codec packs installed, and particular versions of each

-which app you're using to encode

-does the VOB files play without crashing in any old media player?

-does it encode fine if you pick another codec?

-which version of divx is that?

Right now, we can't even tell what's actually crashing. Could be the encoding app, the MPEG2 codec trying to decode to decode the VOB files, or the divx codec, or a number of other things (muxer/demuxer, some bad filter loading itself like the dreaded mmswitch.ax, bad PIDs in the MPEG2, stream errors, etc). And without knowing what crashes for sure, it's hard to guess why it does it, and how to solve that.

Then again, I haven't used the divx codec in a lot of years. I would try xvid instead and see if that works. More advanced tests could be done using graphedit.

Hello,Thanks For Replying......

I installed The c++ Runtimes But That Did Not Help.

I have the Divx 6.8 Bundle .

And And The Converter Crashes As Soon As I Click The Convert Buttion.

I Dont Have Any Other Codecs Installed.

It Is A Slow Computer But That Should Not Matter.

466Mhz Celeron,128 Mb Ram Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.

And My Test Computer Is A 233Mhz ,lol But Like i Said,Being Slow and Just crashing is two diferent things.

I Would Really Like To Try Divix Out . It Must Be Something That Is Makeing It Crash...

I Did Try To Play A Divx Video in Media Player Clasic And It Crashes To. (Onley When Trying To Play A Divx Encoded Avi).

It Is A Slow Computer But That Should Not Matter.

466Mhz Celeron

Actually, it matters a great deal. I believe that's your issue right there. Such a very old CPU (Socket 370, from 1999 era) doesn't support any SIMD instruction sets beyond MMX (no SSE, SSE2, etc), hence the illegal instruction errors. Most video stuff these days is optimized for SSE2 at least. You might be able to use some xvid builds instead, but either ways it'll be extremely slow (the latest DivX in H.264 mode would brutal too). That also explains your other crashes. Most likely, all the newer codecs will give you issues. BTW, Win2k is not supported either, and a mid-range P4 is recommended for SD (even then, still slow).

Long story short, you're WAY overdue for an upgrade.

Well Thats Probably what it is then.....:(...well i was hopeing to convert the vobs,to divx,but like i said i tryed to play a divx file media player clasic crashed to Basicly that leads me to beleave anything to do with the divx codec will crash.Oh Well,Thank You For Replying.......Do you know of any "Free" Vob to Xvid Converters ?......

Oh And i have Dvd Shrink...I Used It On My Old 233Mhz..And It Onley Took About 11 Hrs.:)

anything to do with the divx codec will crash

It's not so much divx related, as much as 99.99999% of video stuff these days (MPEG4-based, be it ASP or AVC, like divx, xvid, x264 and almost everything else) isn't supported by your CPU. Besides, your CPU is likely too slow to play such files at normal speed using ffdshow or anything else using the libavcodec lib (w/o dropping a lot of frames and getting severe audio lag problems, even with all post-processing disabled), while most other codecs will flat out not work like you've discovered.

As for converters, I normally use VirtualDubMod (along with avisynth), but the odds of all that supporting your CPU are near 0% too.

As for DVD Shrink, that's not encoding, that's transcoding (MUCH MUCH faster), and 11h isn't exactly what I'd call fast. My 2 year old box (using the 2nd cheapest CPU you could buy at the time) encodes a full movie in xvid (good profile too, and with pretty good avisynth script) in about 30 mins (with a newer CPU, it would be closer to 10). Converting to divx or xvid would likely take over a week on your box, and it couldn't even play them back afterwards (too slow).

Agian,Thanks for replying.Well i remember when i first saw divx on tv.it was a tv show called techtv.and they were showing and talking about divx.it was late 2001.About the time my pc was made.so do you know where i can find a early version of divx from back in 2001? there must me something that will work on this computer....It plays dvds ,Windows Media,Mpeg 2,and Mpeg 3 Great.And FLV Files Encoded with xvid. (Acording to Media Player Clasic.I Was Playing A FLV File In Media Player Clasic.And The Codec Info Said Xvid Codec.

Anyway There Must Be Some Video Software From The Year 2000,2001.

Thanks Agian.

do you know where i can find a early version of divx from back in 2001?

Such early "divx" codecs have NOTHING to do with the modern ones. They were merely a hacked codec from MS (was rewritten later). And the quality of such old codecs is pretty horrible by today's standards.

Seriously, why bother trying to find ancient software (with very poor quality), just so you can keep using a 10 year old computer (with a cut down budget version of a Pentium 2 CPU)? People have been throwing away & giving away P4 boxes for a while around here. And even when it's not free, it's dirt cheap (seen someone buy a P4 3GHz box with fancy vid card and all for $50 recently-ish)

• 2 weeks later...

@winforever

DivX :-) v3.11a(msft's MPEG-4v3 codec hacked to allow AVI and other containers instead of just msft's ASF container) is from 2001 and can e.g. be downloaded here: http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec.html.

To get the best results out of this anchient codec, then i would recommend using Nandub(offers 2-pass Smart Bitrate Control for DivX :-) v3.11a, which isn't possible from it's VFW interface). Nandub is also included in Gordian Knot.

DivX :-) v3.11a(msft's MPEG-4v3 codec hacked to allow AVI and other containers instead of just msft's ASF container) is from 2001

which I had already mentioned before:

They were merely a hacked codec from MS (was rewritten later). And the quality of such old codecs is pretty horrible by today's standards.

The quality they offer compared to modern codecs is very bad. Every other codec out there (xvid, "real" divx, 3ivx, real video and several others) were *all* already a lot better over 5 years ago. Most codecs comparisons stopped even including it like 5 years ago, because it was just WAY outclassed. And in the last 5 years, we've had *major* advances. H.264 is where it's at these days. The old "DivX ;-)" hacked codec is over 10 years old now, and its best left rotting in its grave.

Then again, encoding with a 466Mhz Celeron is like trying to compete in drag racing with a kids' tricycle.

DivX :-) v3.11a(msft's MPEG-4v3 codec hacked to allow AVI and other containers instead of just msft's ASF container) is from 2001

which I had already mentioned before:[]

You mentioned it was a hacked msft codec, and so for added discriptiveness to the OP, i added which msft codec it was hacked from, and what the hack consisted of...