Are there any 802.11n drivers?

modicr

I've used several 802.11g devices before.

One was a Belkin (Ralink RT256x chipset) CardBus device.

Another was a Realtek RTL8185L chipset PCI device.

Both worked.

To use the latest Ralink drivers on the Belkin, I had to manually select a compatible driver since the INFs did not have the Belkin's CardBus ID.

Both Ralink and Realtek have support for Windows 9x.

Edited by RetroOS

I dunno but I just bought for £1 a MicraDigital/Belkin 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter last week from a dude on my local market. I haven't installed it as I have no need for it but it looks quite cool. There is a driver for 98/ME on the CD and it's called O4501U9X.sys. There are also PCI cards but I am thinking that perhaps a USB one is more flexible. I haven't checked but I think it's the kind of stuff that can be found easily for dirt cheap on eBay.

Edited by eidenk

I have tried Edimax wifi cards [both pci & cardbus] and they seem to work well. The 2 models I installed were the EW-7108PCG & EW-7128G.

I also installed a Netgear WG311 pci card in a relative's machine who has 98se and it also works well. I think it was a v1 card. No WPA supplicant was supplied but you can use the Aegis from the Edimax.

The Edimax cards both have the Ralink chipset. I downloaded the latest / last 98SE drivers from the Edimax.com site.

You can also get the card to work with WPA encryption by installing the WPA supplicant [Aegis2] which you will find in Program Files>Edimax folder. Otherwise it's only WEP.

A bit late but hope this helps

Cheers

Hello!

You can also get the card to work with WPA encryption by installing the WPA supplicant [Aegis2] which you will find in Program Files>Edimax folder. Otherwise it's only WEP.

A bit late but hope this helps

Thanks - and it's not too late. Currently I have the following options:

- Edimax 7618Ug and ASUS WL-167g (both are USB adapters with Ralink chips)

- Level One WNC-0305USB (Realtek 8187)

EDIT:

- Edimax 7318USG (Ralink RT2571W) is also available for 39 EUR: http://technicianspot.blogspot.com/2008/04...ireless-ew.html

Regards, Roman

Edited by modicr

I am confirming this cheapo USB MicraDigital I have mentioned above appears to works well as I have installed it today to test if it was my ISP that was down or my network stack that was damaged for some reason. Only problem I had was that it installed the Windows ME driver but the Windows 2000 inf file, perhaps a side effect of KernelEX, and it failed the hardware detection/intallation when plugging the card. After replacing the inf file with the Windows ME one by hand it was all good. And it was my ISP that was down for almost 24 hours it seems.

Operating Mode : Infastructure or Ad-Hoc

Security type : WEP, WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK

Encryption method : AES or TKIP

Edited by eidenk

Hello!

BTW, I was wondering ... is there a small wired-wireless adapter - so that I plug the device into my existing LAN port on my laptop and then configure the device with web browser to connect to the desired wireless network ... so no wireless drivers needed :)

Thanks, Roman

Edited by modicr

• 4 weeks later...
Hello!

BTW, I was wondering ... is there a small wired-wireless adapter - so that I plug the device into my existing LAN port on my laptop and then configure the device with web browser to connect to the desired wireless network ... so no wireless drivers needed :)

Thanks, Roman

I have used the Airlink101 products from Fry's. PCI slot card, PCcard, USB dongle all work with 98SE. They will do 802.11b/g/n. I also use their AP431w access point which is connected to my DSL modem by a RJ45 cable (standard twisted pair ethernet). The DSL modem also has a USB port, to which I have connected my 98SE box successfully. Most of these products are selling for less than $20US regularly, and under $10 when on sale, except that AP431w, I think.

The AP lets all wireless computers in the house access the internet using the modems built in DHCP server.

tom