Seagate 500gb - a troublemaker

First, I'm not sure if I have to post this into the sticky topics. If the moderators feel that way - please send it there.

Seagate 7200.11 500gb model: ST3500820AS S/N 9QM0YKG5. Firmware was SD15, now is SD1A. Updated it from a boot cd.

At first as I remember it started to show all the drive in bad sectors. Used HD Tune to check. Hdd Regenerator couldn't find any bad sector. A zero fill didn't help - same situation. This was one month ago. I was away for a while, so today started again, I tried 0 LBA and BSY fixes - no improvement. Actually now I can`t start windows when the drive is attached, it is visible in bios normally. Acronis director from hiren's bood cd sees the drive, even is able to format it. If I hot plug the drive, after OS is running it shows in device manager correctly, but not in my computer. When I go to computer management-storage the program freezes. If I start hd tune, it works fine with my system drive, but when I switch to ST3500820AS it freezes again. When I run live cd from hiren's, hd tune doesn't see ST3500820AS.

It doesn't have warranty, so I am open to any solutions.

Acronis director from hiren's bood cd sees the drive, even is able to format it.
Read the rules, that boot CD isn't on our "legal" list nor is Acronis for free last time I checked it... You have been warned.

Acronis director from hiren's bood cd sees the drive, even is able to format it.
Read the rules, that boot CD isn't on our "legal" list nor is Acronis for free last time I checked it... You have been warned.

:whistle:

My mistake. Note taken.

It doesn't have warranty, so I am open to any solutions.
Are you sure about that? Did you check on the seagate site?

The drive is bought in another country, the warranty is to the local seller. I do not have any documets of purchase with me. So basically this means "without warranty" for me. I don't believe I can just send the drive back to Seagate, and also not sure the transport expense will justify this. Or am I wrong here?

you don't need proof of purchase, at least i don't think you do.

http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jsp

go there and type in the needed info.

It works! Thank you, I didn't know I can contact seagate directly.

Another question, do I have to upload back the original firmware, or I can leave the current one? Is it a problem tha I changed it?