Message From YouTube About IE 6 Browser [Solved]

Monroe

The Market Share browser versions trends is showing that IE7 usage has dropped faster than IE6 since May leaving IE6 as the most common browser!?

Go figure :wacko: (but I wouldn't take just one set of stats as final...)

This month, Internet Explorer 8 will be released to corporates (via Windows Server Update Services unless blocked), so I would expect IE8 usage to increase somewhat (albeit artificially induced).

Why don't you guys use Firefox 3.5 with KernelEx ?

It's faster and more comfortable than IE6 and it is still updated and therefore more secure.

I'm using it and it works just fine with Win 98 SE.

The thing that scares me the most about Firefox is - what will happen when the browser does have the vast majority market share? It's not the most secure codebase, and like anything else it'll become a target. What then? Do we send folks to Safari or Chrome until they get dominant and start showing security weaknesses? Do we go back to IE <insert latest version here>? Just a thought.

Why don't you guys use Firefox 3.5 with KernelEx ?

It's faster and more comfortable than IE6 and it is still updated and therefore more secure.

I'm using it and it works just fine with Win 98 SE.

Well why don't you use Opera, which is a wonderful browser who natively suports all versions of Windows even in its superb and still beta tenth declination ? :whistle:

The thing that scares me the most about Firefox is - what will happen when the browser does have the vast majority market share? It's not the most secure codebase, and like anything else it'll become a target. What then? Do we send folks to Safari or Chrome until they get dominant and start showing security weaknesses? Do we go back to IE <insert latest version here>? Just a thought.

I think there is no secure browser. Even Opera is insecure considering it has been compromised twice on my machine since I started using it. In both cases code injection in the executable memory space and dumping of the image on disk in place of the original Opera I believe, and this through online exploits I have no clue what they were.

One of them was a viable Opera executable and Jetico intercepted it as its checksum had changed. The other was a newbie attempt it seems, leaving a screwed-up executable who would not run and which contained an Hello World string next to the name of a Code Project package dealing with direct code injection into executable memory space and whose name I have forgotten right now.

@ eidenk

I've been using Firefox since version 1.5 and I prefer to stick to my guns.

I tried Opera 9.64 and it didn't convince me at all. I prefer the variety of add-ons Firefox offers.

I like the possibility to customize my browser in a way that it has all the functions I need.

But the point is that whatever browser you use I think they all are better than IE6.

I still dont think its possible for FF* to overtake IE* any measurable amount of time. IE will always control a majority of the market since it it the most configurable with GPo and the like which will always make it the bigger target.

Oh and under no circumstances will i ever send a user to Safari. Ive seen how that company addresses security problems (by pretending their arent any problems) :rolleyes:

The thing that scares me the most about Firefox is - what will happen when the browser does have the vast majority market share? It's not the most secure codebase, and like anything else it'll become a target.

You seem to be assuming that a program with the most market share is insecure by default and should be avoided. This is not true. Look at Apache.

Besides, Firefox is already a target.

I still dont think its possible for FF* to overtake IE* any measurable amount of time. IE will always control a majority of the market since it it the most configurable with GPo and the like which will always make it the bigger target.

Firefox is so much more configurable than IE. And it's open source. I also doubt most home users are into customising every aspect of their gateway to the web.

Most of what you can configure in Firefox is gratuitous. At least the configuration options for IE (most of them found in Group Policy) actually do things to bolster security...

Albeit, a secure IE is most often a pain-in-the-butt to use IE, which is why I tend to use Opera nowadays.

how can I do the same thing ... block or spoof the user agent in IE 6.

I believe there's a registry tweak that can do that for IE6 but I don't know what it is. My preference is to let Proxomitron alter the headers. Proxomitron can modify the user agent string and most any other web content of anything that connects to the web through it.

post-118612-1248539962_thumb.png

I'm finding Proxomitron to be more and more useful. It can filter out or modify undesirable or troublesome web content, remove ads, filter out malicious code, and much more. It's a small, lightweight program that you unzip and use. It can be looked at as a rule based content filter. More info on Proxomitron is available at The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum.

I edited my user agent string to say

Duke Nukem; 3D; Get back to work, you slacker!

Websites think I run Mozilla 4.0 on an 'unknown platform' :rolleyes:

Edited by JustinStacey.x

Besides, Firefox is already a target.

Firefox is so much more configurable than IE. And it's open source. I also doubt most home users are into customising every aspect of their gateway to the web.

Sorry i wasnt too clear what i meant there. when i say "configurable with GPo" that has nothing to do with home users in my mind (yes i know about local GPo but that hardly counts) I use FF almost exclusively My home PCs & work PCs but on the PCs I manage, IE is MUCH easier to keep up to date and manage default settings with Group Policy Object received from the domain. So my point was IE* will always have a huge presence in the corporate environment which will make it hard for FF* to overtake IE* for any extended period. Now If someone could make a version of FF that could be configured with GPo, I might think about deploy it at work but until then, my users will have to install it themselves.

@ eidenk

I've been using Firefox since version 1.5 and I prefer to stick to my guns.

I tried Opera 9.64 and it didn't convince me at all. I prefer the variety of add-ons Firefox offers.

I like the possibility to customize my browser in a way that it has all the functions I need.

But the point is that whatever browser you use I think they all are better than IE6.

Each one his own I guess. I never liked Firefox but at some point I needed to replace my old IE 5.5 (I don't even have 6 installed) for going online as I was too fed-up with exploits (was still "covered" by MS security "fixes" at that time) so gave a go to Opera. Well it took me a good 3-4 days to get used to it and I have never looked back since or felt I needed to look for something else. Version 10 is superb. And btw just like Firefox it has add-ons called Opera widgets, I am not using any of those though.

Edited by eidenk