So, I recently started learning Python, as it seemed like a great first language to learn (and all the computer science courses at my college require it... so it's a great headstart); however, I find myself constantly needing to google for the syntax of specific functions. Like I know what to do, and when to do it, but not how.

Is this normal for a first time coder? What was the learning curve like for all the coders on the board?

Just wondering if i a total moron (very likely) or if this is normal.

All the best.

Vinny

Its true of most programming languages. I think the problem stems from the fact that we know multiple languages, and each one is a little different and we seem to forget this automatically. Its perfectly normal to have to look up syntax, because sometimes we just make mistakes. This is true even of things you may know very well.

I recommend that you make notes of what things fixed certain issues, as this will help you learn it faster. Or at least it does for me. Also, if you are unsure of how to do something specific, see if you can find an open source or example program that does a similar thing. Take a look at how that person coded it and adapt those ideas in your code.

it's true for advanced programmers.

no one has every function memorized and everyone uses some sort of a reference to look up things in.

the basic functions you will eventually memorize, but that will only be out of using them a lot.