How to skip Windows Welcome screens?

coucou

Hi,

I have a fairly DVD unattended WinXP Pro SP3.

It is supposed to install Windows XP SP3 fully unattended, then reboot and process a WPI for softwares installation. All is fine and dandy except for the welcome screen.

Although I've set "OemSkipWelcome=1" in my Winnt.sif file, for some reason, I am having to configure the auto updates, internet connection settings, and microsoft registration (input a user name for one or more users? -the screen has a set of 5 boxes to input names, with the first one being labeled "Your Name."), then WPI runs for installing the softwares.

Here bellow my Winnt.sif, Last Session.ini and Last Session_u.ini files attachements

Do I forgot any tweak in nLite configuration?

coucou

Edited by coucou

coucou, in general you do not need to mess around in Winnt for these things. Windows Welcome does not appear in my unattended install. Since it is too difficult to look at your pasted Last Session, I have not determined what might be going on. So, please delete the stuff you have pasted and, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. You can also attach your winnt.sif - use the Browse... and UPLOAD buttons. Enjoy, John.

@johnhc: OK! all stuff deleted and files attached

@-X-: Many TNX. Is there anything more to do with nLite?

In fact, until now i used almost same .sif and .ini files with WinXP SP2 without problem.

This problem appear since i used SP3 and IE8 integrated with RVMI 1.6 and tweaked by nLite.

Regards

coucou

coucou, thanks much for removing the pasted stuff. Again, you do not need to edit winnt.sif to do the things you are trying to do. I have attached my Last Session.ini. I have removed Tour from Operation System. I am not sure if this is what kills the Windows Welcome. I also use AutoLogon. My install is completely unattended after I select the partition and format.

This problem appear since i used SP3 and IE8 integrated with RVMI 1.6 and tweaked by nLite.
I don't see where this is, but maybe that is because I don't understand RVI things. Where is IE8 integrated? Are you running nLite more than once against the same source, if so, that may well be the source of your problems. Enjoy, John.

I use SP3 and it works just fine. I don't think there's more to do but I'm not sure what Ryan's integration method does. I would just check the winnt.sif after nlite makes it, edit it if necessary and then test your ISO in a virtual machine.

I'm using a Pure WinXP Pro SP3 French, I'm firstly intedrate IE8 and Hotfix with Ryan's integrator and then I add addons and tweaks with nLite (nLite runs only once).

@johnhc: I am not sure... by removing Tour from Operation System, it kills the Windows Welcome. I thing it prevent in the first use (after all installationa) the windows Tour for beguiner to run.

@@-X-: All my ISO are tested in a VM machine.

Regards

coucou, here is my US two cents worth (1.43 Euro cents). Running two different processes (RVI and nLite) is begging for trouble.

@johnhc: I am not sure... by removing Tour from Operation System, it kills the Windows Welcome. I thing it prevent in the first use (after all installationa) the windows Tour for beguiner to run.
Sorry, I do not understand what you are saying or asking here. Enjoy, John.

@ DJPro & -X-, someone please tell me why multiple people are advising the OP (and others) to pause nLite and edit Winnt.sif before creating an ISO, when facilities are available in nLite to accomplish the same same thing.

@Ponch, I do not have "Skip OOBE" ticked in my nLite and don't get the Welcome screen. My Last Session is posted for all to see.

Enjoy all, John.

I'm not telling him to pause it. There is no UnattendSwitch setting in nLite that I can see so just to check it afterwords and if needed edit it instead of having to start from scratch.

BTW, I always edit my winnt.sif after nlite because the network settings don't work and to add other stuff that nLite doesn't handle.

That`s what nuhi`s Homepage says:

Why is OOBE skipped?

It can be one or more of these reasons:

- Autologon isn't disabled

(set it to none)

- AutoUpdate isn't set to Default

(this one will be checked is it possible to setup and still have OOBE)

- Don't select OOBE for removal in Components page

(if the page is enabled in the first place)

- Use some other Unattended mode than Fully Automated because that one in order to be fully automated will skip the OOBE, try Hide Defaults.

- To ensure proper OOBE functionality select Windows Activation compatibility if you remove any components.

@ -X-

I can`t find the thread, but I remember QoS is needed to be kept to set the network-things correctly.

Why is OOBE skipped?

It can be one or more of these reasons

:D what about reasons it is not skipped, like the OP asks ?

Edited by Ponch