Setting up ftp server problem

I'm trying to setup a FTP server to transfer files between my computer and the one at school. The problem is, I can't connect to it from any other computer except for my own.

I got my real IP from a site that tells you the real IP. Though, the FTP server wont accept that one, from any machine (even my own). Though it'll let me connect through my own machine using my internel IP (starts with 192). Though, of course that wont work, since it's a default IP giving by the router (not aware of the routers 'real IP' either, though it's the same, except the last number is 1)

I tried pinging my computer from another computer in town, and it drops all the packets. While pinging myself from my own machine, all the packets return. If I try tracerting my IP from another machine, it jumps all over the country, and then it contacts two of the routers at my ISP, and then it goes through a loop saying host is unreachable. So I think that the router I'm behind is stoppping it.

So what I'm thinking is, the IP the website gave me, is the IP of the router that is in my room. (And well, I dont think that thing has a FTP server. Just for fun I tried to connect to it through FTP using its' internel IP address, though it wouldnt connect (Though I can ping it from this computer though. It works fine)

I'm using Quick 'N Easy FTP Server Lite 3.1 as the server and I'm using the ftp client that comes with Windows as the client.

If anyone is aware if either of these might be the problem, or is it something to do with the computer and the routers configuration? I'm having a bit of trouble figuring it out the general source of the problem. I've used FTP to transfer files to and from my computer long ago. Though something mustve changed, or it may be that router.

Edited by clueless_furball

Thanks, that'll probably fix my problem.

Though I'm not sure if it's okay to edit those configuration tables. The router serves internet access to other computers in this house through wifi (Mines hooked into one of the ethernet ports on the router). I really doubt my room mates computers have FTP servers on them. Though you really never know.

Thanks, that'll probably fix my problem.

Though I'm not sure if it's okay to edit those configuration tables. The router serves internet access to other computers in this house through wifi (Mines hooked into one of the ethernet ports on the router). I really doubt my room mates computers have FTP servers on them. Though you really never know.

If there's no forwarded address for port 21, odds are that you'll be safe setting it with your IP address. Note that it would probably be a good idea to assign yourself a static IP address as the port forwarding on your router will most likely not dynamically adjust itself every time your computer gets a different IP from the DHCP server (which it *might*).