PNY RAM - thoughts?

jrf2027

I did some searching, and I can't seem to find any recent opinions - everything I found is dated 2006 or earlier...

I want to increase my RAM in my desktop (Gateway GM5478 - Q6600, currently 3 GB PC2 667, everything stock, no OC) to 6 GB. The machine came with 2 GB (2 x 1GB), I installed an additional 1 GB (2 x 512 MB) a few months after buying it. I'm not a gamer, and I don't plan on overclocking this RAM, but I do quite a bit of video editing on the machine. My plan is to remove the 2 x 512 MB and replace them with 2 x 2 GB for a total of 6 GB, then do a clean install with Vista x64.

In the past, I've bought either Kingston or Corsair, with no problems, but while shopping this morning I discovered a great deal on a 4 GB kit from PNY. (Newegg link) My other choice is a 4 GB kit from Kingston (Newegg link). I've done the research, the specs are perfect for my motherboard, the reviews seem OK...anybody have any personal experience with PNY RAM in the last few months? Should I buy the Kingston RAM and spend the extra money, or buy the PNY RAM and a case of cheap beer? :P

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Edited by jrf2027

I wouldn't go with 667 timings, its pretty slow (although if you add 800 or 1066, it will just go down to 667). My suggestion is to look at this page Here. Instead of going with 667, go with 4GB (just 4GB) of 1066. You will have better speed over 6GB of 667. It is also very cheap.

Edited by x-Shadow-x

I thought about 1066, but my motherboard appears limited to either 667 or 800, based on my research, and it looks to be pretty finicky about what 800 modules it will accept. The motherboard is made by Intel, Gateway calls it a "Schroeder Town", but it's essentially an Intel DG33TL without a DVI output on the board.

I was afraid of that. 667 clock is really crappy, I don't know how anyone can live with it. From the two links you posted, I would just go with the PNY, you would save $10, and if you went with the Kingston, you wouldn't see a difference (except $10 less dollars in your wallet). But if I were you, I would get a new MoBo, something that can handle some good RAM. You would see a huge difference in speed.

I don't know if you use onboard Video or not, if not I would use 6GB at 667MHz and if you use onboard Video I would take 2* 2GB PC6400 / 800MT/s RAM indeed. no use for 1066MHz as the timings will go up too. next step up will be a i7/AM3 with DDR3 any way (i5 sucks with its dual channel DDR3). I would use the system with that motherboards as it is for now ;).

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm probably going to be using this system as my primary machine for at least the next three years, so I decided to go with 4 GB of DDR2 800 RAM with a CAS latency of 5; I'll add in another 4 GB down the road. For what I do, it should serve my purposes.

Edited by jrf2027

• 2 weeks later...

I've only seen this happen once before, but when you install Vista x64, if you have trouble, you might try taking out all the RAM, and only putting in 1GB or less, and trying to install again.

I know someone who had that problem with a Q9550 i think, when installing Vista x64 on 8gb of RAM or something along those lines. the install would constantly fail, she took out all but 1gb, and the install went fine.

she had to install some patch to Vista from M$ before adding the rest of the RAM though...google it, i'll see if i can find the topic on another forum.

::edit::

here's the link:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewt...sc&start=61

first post has it all

Edited by bonestonne

i got a old 256mb pc-133 pny ram from a old computer(probloy uesd a lot)

using it on my old win me works fine

looks like PNY are good

but i got a other 256mb Pny but it was high density and the mobo woundent work with that

so make sure its low density ram