Win7: Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC

tain

Windows XP Mode is specifically designed to help small businesses move to Windows 7. Windows XP Mode provides you with the flexibility to run many older productivity applications on a Windows 7 based PC.

All you need to do is to install suitable applications directly in Windows XP Mode which is a virtual Windows XP environment running under Windows Virtual PC. The applications will be published to the Windows 7 desktop and then you can run them directly from Windows 7.

Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC are best experienced on your new Windows 7 PC. We will be soon releasing the beta of Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/business/...virtual-pc.aspx

I wonder what applications would require this and do not work native on (Vista or) Windows 7 even with the compatibility shims. I cant wait to see people try to run games in it to increase performance ;)

[EDIT] Would this be an actual copy of XP, if so what version and service pack? Would it have its own private memory etc etc?

I wouldn't laugh so much about this. With this idea, Microsoft may have finally found a way (after 20+ years) to cut off backwards compatibility back to the '80s from newer incarnations of Windows.

And all I have to say about that:

HELL, ABOUT TIME!