XP pro installation freezing

grandmaster

I am attempting to load Windows XP onto a laptop here at work. After testing the hard drive with Salvation(it passed), the xp installation would ensue.

However, it freezes at 'setup is starting windows' and the cd stops spinning. I changed RAM three or four times with the same result. It appears as though it will not take a 32-bit operating system, implying an board-related video problem, perhaps?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

* Intel Core Duo T2050 Mobile Processor

* 512MB PC2-4200 DDR2 Memory

* 80GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

* 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner

* 14.1" WXGA (1280x800) Wide Screen LCD

* Intel GMA 950 Integrated Graphics with 128MB Shared Memory

* v.92 56Kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet and 802.11a/b/g Wireless

* Four USB 2.0, One FireWire One Type II PC Card Slot and 5-in-1 Reader

* 13.5" x 9.5" x 1.5" @ 5.3 lbs.

* Windows XP MCE, MS Works, WinDVD, McAfee Internet Security

Hi grandmaster, and welcome to the forum. :hello:

First of all, are you sure it's freeze and not blue screen (0x0000007B)? You didn't list your motherboard (or the full name of the laptop), but if it has a SATA controller, it needs drivers to be integrated into XP setup. That is by far the most common reason for XP instalation failure on recent computers.

Also, please note that nLite's license doesn't allow it to be used in business environment.

Of course, there might be numerous other reasons (hardware failure of other components, defective or inappropriate CD)...

GL

Hi,

THe most common problem is the one mentioned by GrofLuigi.

Though if it should be the problem, you can't get to windows is starting. Still, you may go to the BIOS, disable SATA, and try installing. You can later incorporate SATA into the systems using one of the solutions in the SATA threads in this forum. Hope this solves your problem.

I would like to have a word regarding the update when you follow the above solution.

All the best!

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Friday, April 17, 2009, 12:17:41 PM IST

Thanks for the support.

I am working on a Toshiba Satellite m115-s3094 (not sure of the motherboard as the product specifications on Toshiba's website do not denote this). I am using a legitimate copy of Windows XP MCE. I have also tried XP pro and home, all of which froze at 'setup is starting windows'. I am not receiving a blue screen error message, however there is a SATA hard drive in this laptop and no corresponding RAID driver on Toshiba's website.

I went into BIOS to check the settings and there are no settings regarding SATA at all. BUT... I noticed also that BIOS was not seeing a hard drive). I failed to mention this before, but this is the second hard drive I have tried in this laptop. The original hard drive came up with bad sectors after a diagnostic (but it was freezing at 'setup is starting windows' as well).

* Intel Core Duo T2050 Mobile Processor

* 512MB PC2-4200 DDR2 Memory

* 80GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

* 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner

* 14.1" WXGA (1280x800) Wide Screen LCD

* Intel GMA 950 Integrated Graphics with 128MB Shared Memory

* v.92 56Kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet and 802.11a/b/g Wireless

* Four USB 2.0, One FireWire One Type II PC Card Slot and 5-in-1 Reader

* 13.5" x 9.5" x 1.5" @ 5.3 lbs.

* Windows XP MCE, MS Works, WinDVD, McAfee Internet Security

Update: I changed the hard drive and now BIOS is seeing it. There are still no settings regarding SATA in BIOS. I think it is converted to IDE since Salvation hard drive diagnostic was able to scan this hard drive, and it does not work on SATA hard drives.

Well... keeping it to the simple things first... how long are you waiting during this "freeze" maybe it's just thinking REALLY hard for a little while hehe.

Otherwise, I'd try to find the mass storage drivers for your SATA HDD, and then press F6 at the appropiate place and point setup to those drivers. Unfortunately, you'll need an external floppy drive and to have those drivers on a floppy...... terrible. :angry:

EDIT - Just reread your post and the bios not seeing a hard drive would be my first concern.... can you maybe get into recovery console and do a FIXMBR? Or a FIXBOOT? hmmmmm may not resolve your problem though.... even if you did get it up... I'd be really wary because you'll probably end up replacing that drive shortly....

Are you sure the HDD is installed properly? Did you do it yourself? Did it come in a chassis and maybe you installed the drive upside-down? How old is the drive?

Edited by kingsc

I cannot boot into recovery console because, in order to enter that, I have to get past 'setup is starting windows'. The hard drive is installed properly. I am not really sure how old the hard drive is, but I have tried it with three different hard drives, the first and third of which DID show up in BIOS.

Guest sudioy
Hi grandmaster, and welcome to the forum. :hello:

First of all, are you sure it's freeze and not blue screen (0x0000007B)? You didn't list your motherboard (or the full name of the laptop), but if it has a SATA controller, it needs drivers to be integrated into XP setup. That is by far the most common reason for XP instalation failure on recent computers.

Also, please note that nLite's license doesn't allow it to be used in business environment.

Of course, there might be numerous other reasons (hardware failure of other components, defective or inappropriate CD)...

GL

I am also confused :whistle:

Update: I changed the hard drive and now BIOS is seeing it.

Something weird here: you say you tested two harddisks without the BIOS seeing them ? There must be a confusion somewhere.

BTW, there is a new BIOS for your laptop (not related to your problem but fixing a battery charge issue).

For your actual problem, if applicable, try zeroing the beginning of the drive (if you can boot anything else on that laptop).

I actually already updated bios on this laptop.

Perhaps I have given too much unnecessary information. Let it just be said that I am nearly certain I have a working hard drive and it is being seen in BIOS presently. My memory is a little fuzzy on the hard drive that I tested being seen or not seen in BIOS. Regardless, I tested it with Salvation so it is good as far as we know. I think I am going to chalk it up to a hardware failure on the board. I really was looking for a deeper explanation as I am fairly sure I have exhausted my options. My co-worker attempted a Windows Vista load onto the hard drive to rule out that it needed drivers integrated, and we received the same result, confirming my suspicions.

To be clear, you've now tried 3 different hard drives (one bad 2 good) and 4 different CDs (3x XP and one Vista), changed RAM 3 times and you still get stuck at the same point ? :}

Reset BIOS is my only idea.

Forget SATA for the time being. You said that you were able to have one of the HDD detected. Try installing a lower version of Windows such as 98 or ME. If it is sucessful, it means there is no problem with the board. The BIOS has to be updated. Check for the latest upgrade and before installing it, RESET the one you have currently.

Once done, use the upgrade option to get to the Windows XP (for use w/o Sata) or to the Vista (supports SATA).

One thing is for sure after going through all the posts: the BIOS needs a kick. Get it from the support center for your machine.

All the Best!

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 10:13:26 PM IST

I had something like that with my toshiba satellite laptop I was reinstalling windows xp home and it kept freezing up and i used some sprayway glass cleaner with no ammonia cleaning the disc (glass cleaner is the best to clean discs) but that didnt work so i wiped the hard drive and the installation continued :thumbup I was so excited when I got it up and running :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Edited by XPDUDE777