How to install a service pack

fred6633

Hello,

I can't find the answer on this anywhere. Maybe a dumb question.

I have just installed Win xp pro and integrated SP 3. I removed most things that weren't red marked.

I suppose there will be a service pack 4 in the future.

On that day: Can I just run the service pack installer?

Will I then get back the components I removed?

Thanks

Fred

First of all, Microsoft made it pretty clear that SP3 was the last one and they're stopping official support.

Next, I'm not sure you will get for example Calculator again if you removed it before, but I know that SP3 upgraded the version of Internet Explorer you have on your computer at the moment (not to a new version, like 6 to 7), so upgraded existing elements.

However, they ARE cumulative update packs, and I wouldn't be amazed your doubts were true.

Hope I helped.

fred6633, I agree with Sp0iLedBrAt, that SP3 will almost certainly be the last, but MS has not stopped support and continues to release updates. Since normal Windows install allows users to select components to install, I suspect if you install a hypothetically SP4 on your system with components removed, the SP that Windows Updates sends to your computer will know about your removed components and not try to restore or update them. Enjoy, John.

First of all, Microsoft made it pretty clear that SP3 was the last one and they're stopping official support.

Next, I'm not sure you will get for example Calculator again if you removed it before, but I know that SP3 upgraded the version of Internet Explorer you have on your computer at the moment (not to a new version, like 6 to 7), so upgraded existing elements.

However, they ARE cumulative update packs, and I wouldn't be amazed your doubts were true.

Hope I helped.

Just how clear? Can we get a source on that?

They keep extending support for XP and as far as I know have yet to publish anything saying they will not release a sp4.

It's a sure bet we can see at least a rollup package.

I only said that because Microsoft had two announcements; the first was they would stop support in April 2009 (although I wouldn't mind that this is prolonged forever hehe) and the second that starting May 2009 there is Windows 7 RC, making XP somewhat obsolete, and Vista unnecessary; see HERE .

Funny thing,

just in yesterday's Patch Tuesday's security bulletin a new file appeared for the first time: xpsp4res.dll (Service Pack 4 Messages).

Inside KB923561. At least I see it for the first time.

So there is still hope? :whistle:

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

I've also noticed it, and you can also find it in the Registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP, where it keeps records of all updates . I guess this is some way in which XP keeps track of all updates after SP3. But I wouldn't be too optimistic. Just look at this situation: The new Office package has been postponed for indefinite, there are updates for Office 2007, but almost nothing for Office 2003.

I still like wishful thinking, though.

Cheers,

Sp0iLedBrAt