Help this newbie!

BitzFreak

Hello,

First I wanna' thank you for your support. But what is my question. In my home, there are living many people and many computers. I manage it for them. I'm getting sick that I so many questions get: "My computer is broken, can you help me?" So we have brought a server and a lot of workstations (aubout six). So I want to start configuring it. Quick overview of my server's hardware:

1 Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Support for hardware virtualisation (Hyper-V)

4 Gigs of DDR2 RAM

A AMD Dualcore (Athlon X2) running at 2,5Ghz

And a lot of disk space, since I want to store everything centrally

It's running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise

What do I want?

A Domain (Where workstations can logon, and limited user rights, so they can't manage the settings or install unknown apps)

A Central Firewall (Microsoft Forefront TMG with web filtering against adult content)

A Web server (To run webmail and a site for fun)

Maybe DNS and DHCP

What I know is that I cant run MS Forefront TMG on a domain controller, exactly there I can use Hyper-V ;) So now my question. Where is a tutorial to configure this? I have tried already with a domain, but the logon is very slow. (About 5 minutes).

Thanks for your support.

Edited by BitzFreak

I only have a couple things to mention.

1. Make sure your hardware is Server 2008 certified. I am not familiar with AMD based board in 2008.

2. Check the terms of service with your ISP. They likely will require you to have a business account in order to run a web server or mail server off their network. If you don't plan on making the server accessible outside your network, do not worry about it.

3. The Set-up Your Server window is pretty straight forward. If you run into a problem adding roles or features, try only adding one at a time.

4. You can try turning off the Link-Layer Topology options (use GP) on the server and on the workstations (only if they are Vista) to see if it increases your speed.