Can VGA display HD?

Guest rockyrockrock

Guest rockyrockrock

I always figured this was the case. I read on numerous forums that VGA can display HD video. Since I don't have an HDTV, I couldn't test it to find out for sure.

I was browsing HDTVs at walmart.com when I came across this. The lines that got my attention were HDTV: Yes, thru HDMI or Component YPbPr and Progressive Scan Video: Yes, thru Component YPbPr, VGA or HDMI. Obviously VGA supports 480p, but it's not listed under the HDTV category.

I have a laptop with VGA out. It runs at 1280x800 with integrated graphics. I'm thinking of extending the monitor to the hdtv through VGA. If I view videos on the extended monitor at the HDTV's native resolution (1366x768), will it be displayed in HD, or is walmart.com correct about it not being in HD?

I'm not using blu-ray discs. I'm using video files that have an HD resolution (1280x720). So I don't think HDCP will limit me or anything.

Guest rockyrockrock

OK new problem. I just bought an HDTV and it's native resolution is 1360x768 60hz.

My laptop's screen goes to a maximum of 1280x800 and the extended display doesn't have 1360x768. it simply goes from 1280x1024 to 1440x900, skipping 1360x768 entirely.

Because of that, the highest resolution (extended display) the HDTV will work with is 1024x768 because it won't accept any other higher resolution except 1360x768. I leave my laptop's resolution as it is.

I even used Powerstrip to add 1360x768 resolution as an option to the extended display, but the HDTV won't accept it. Is there anything I can do to make this work?

Guest rockyrockrock

Ok NVM the problem is pretty much resolved.

My laptop simply cannot support 1360x768. I have the integrated graphics Radeon X1200 and even after using Powerstrip and updating the display drivers, it didn't work. I plugged in my desktop, which had 1360x768 available and it worked perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...
Does your video controller happen to an nVidia chipset?

My laptop has an nVidia graphics drivers. When I connect to my HDTV, I can only extend the desktop. If I try to duplicate the desktop, it won't accept.

How do I get it to duplicate?

I don't have a problem with my ATI radeon laptop.

Hmm, not sure if you can do this with a notebook, but nVidia CPL lets you specify a custom resolution. It doesn't matter if this resolution isn't the one you want. When you set a custom resolution, it makes keys in the registry. Then you can change those keys to get any resolution you want.

See the following for reference:

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t54692.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=859819

I don't know why the term SVGA isn't used as it should be. :wacko:

thats easy...its just easier for people to say, and the fact that any good technician will know that saying VGA means SVGA in technical terms ;) - as you said, VGA hasnt been used for years. Its an "inherital" term, well, has been everywhere I;ve worked, peopel dont tend to kick up a fuss about a terminology.

Like saying, "yeh, the VGA socket" "pass me that VGA cable" - yes, we know its a SVGA socket or cable etc.

you dont need to be all "technically correct" by saying, "yes, its that SVGA socket" :whistle:

its almost like people being "politically correct" :P lol

Anyways, side not over ;)

My 2nd post so here goes nothing... I've taken snipets from what user 'rockyrockrock' has previously said.

I have a laptop with VGA out.

SVGA runs at 1024x768 75hz.

I'm thinking of extending the monitor to the hdtv through VGA.

HDTV runs best at its native resolution (in this case, 1360x768). See answer above.

My laptop's screen goes to a maximum of 1280x800 and the extended display doesn't

have 1360x768. Because of that, the highest resolution (extended display) the HDTV

will work with is 1024x768.

Correct.

My laptop simply cannot support 1360x768.

Using SVGA this is correct - 1024x768 is the maximum.

For me, this problem first arose when a friend of mine purchased a computer and an HDTV.

When the HDTV was connected via SVGA the HDTV would not run at it's native resolution

(1440x900) and no matter what setting we used, it looked awful because it would not show

1440x900 as an option in 'display properties' even though 60hz could be selected for any

given resolution.

I then hooked up a CRT monitor to his computer and it ran perfectly at 1024x768 75hz.

Until he buys an HDTV compatible video card he can not use the HDTV as his monitor.

To answer your original question 'Can VGA display HD', it can but not in HD - meaning you

can only get 480 as user 'joe43wv' stated above - picture will still look good but you will

not get HD resolutions of 720/1080.