Windows / ubuntu file sharing

Hi guys!

If I am in the wrong place - then please tell me. I have some students who are working with windows 2003 and they would like to share files from windows to ubuntu and vise versa.

I have set up samba and all the settings on ubuntu - which come to mind. Are there things I need to think of when sharing from windows 2003 to linux? I have set up networks at home with windows xp and linux - but not windows server and linux. Is there any difference?

I can need some help on this one. Can some one point me in the right direction- please.

bookie32

Haven't tried lately, but...

Using an Ubuntu-based LiveCD, I was able to share between 2k3 and the running Ubuntu (sharing files on the Ubuntu-running PC).

Share as usual on the running system(s), with appropriate security. The OS is irrelevant via TCP/IP. (p.s. LiveCD must have had some kind of Samba setup?...)

Ennyhoo, you should be fine (even though I lack sufficient info to pass on to you).

Hi submix8c :hello:

Thanks for stopping by. I have tried to have time to read up on how to add Ubuntu to a Windows 2003 active directory domain.

There is a lot of material to wade through.

I will post a little later when I have had time to digest it all..LOL

bookie32