Hidden OS protected files

Fr33m4n

I have a folder that contains backups pf my installer files. This folder is also synchronized to a server for further redundancy. Today I needed one of those files so I browsed to it's location only to find that the folder was shockingly empty. I then logged onto the server and found that all files were present. Then I ran the backup tool to synchronize my computer and the server but it promptly reported that everything was in sync. Checking the properties of the local folder I found that the foldersize indicated the file should be there but it wasn't visible to me at least. I was only allowed to see the file after turning off the option to hide protected OS files.

First of all, why did this happen? It happened for a large number of files actually.

Second, even after taking ownership of the files once more, the system will still not allow me to change the file attribute from hidden to visible. The box to remove the hidden status is simply grayed out. How do I fix that?

I'd really appreciate some help on this.

I'm on Vista x64 Ultimate

Edited by Fr33m4n

You can use the attrib tool to change the properties. Here are your switches:

R = Read Only

A = Archive

S = System

H = Hidden

So to make available your standard protected file, use the following:

Attrib -R +A -S -H

To reverse and set back to how it was before:

Attrib +R -A +S +H

You can use the attrib tool to change the properties. Here are your switches:

R = Read Only

A = Archive

S = System

H = Hidden

So to make available your standard protected file, use the following:

Attrib -R +A -S -H

To reverse and set back to how it was before:

Attrib +R -A +S +H

Hmm, I'm assuming that the attrib tool is part of windows and that it can be used with the command prompt? I haven't been able to test this theory because the problem is that even if I run CMD as Admin it still won't allow me to view the files at all, even though it reports the folder size as correct it says that there are 0 files and none are shown. Annoying really. Also, would the attrib tool allow me to apply this to a folder, sub-folder and files at once or do I have to do one file at a time. Because if so that would make this incredibly tedious work considering that there are plenty of files and folders.

You can change the options in the Explorer window, . Uncheck hide protected system files. If you do this properly, you will know it because you will then see c:\ProgramData and the Recycler folders.

In the cmd, you can use dir /a:sh to view only system+hidden files.