howto on nero to create/write iso and udf on same DVD?

mikesw

I have a VISTA OS install disk, but it can't boot from the CD/DVD drive upon power on although once the

OS such as XP is booted and logged into, one can install the VISTA disk and begin installation.

The reason it isn't bootable is because the install.wim file on it is greater than 2 gigs and requires the UDF format.

But to make it bootable with a boot.img file it requires the ISO format. As far as I know UDF CD/DVDs can't be

made bootable.

The solution to the above problem is to use MSofts oscdimg.exe file which will take the VISTA install files and the

etfs.com file and create a boot section as ISO and a data install section with the OS files as UDF.

How can one do this with NERO 8/9? At present it is one or the other. The manuals for NERO ROM don't explain

this either. Google says there is a an ISO/UDF (bridge), but I don't think this is used to put both an ISO and

UDF filesystem on the same CD/DVD. ISOBuster will show both filesystems on the DVD correctly. There is also

the capability to do ISO/HFS too, but NERO doesn't allow one to select HFS either.

Are there any free programs that can do all this out there to make the job of creating combinations of

filesystems on the same CD/DVD?

Does the UDF standard have provisions to make it bootable? If not, then this is probably why CD/DVD writing

software hasn't implemented it yet....

Edited by mikesw

Humm, where did you find that UDF images are not bootable? My Windows 7 image is UDF and it's bootable. Has nothing to do with the size of install.wim (yes, if it's > 2 gb and you need it in UDF format but that is not the reason for being unbootable).

UltraISO handles UDF file format just fine. Most likely, your CD boot loader might be corrupt.

Is your Vista disk an original vanilla copy? If not, then, hummm....

Hmmmm (quick check)... I see what the OP means. To construct a Bootable DVD (not a pre-made image) there doesn't seem to be an option (snapshots attached). First Nero option only allows for ISO; leaves only way by pre-making the ISO by some other means before "burning" via Nero.

post-72994-1237991646_thumb.png

post-72994-1237991676_thumb.png

Edited by submix8c

Hmmmm (quick check)... I see what the OP means. To construct a Bootable DVD (not a pre-made image) there doesn't seem to be an option (snapshots attached). First Nero option only allows for ISO; leaves only way by pre-making the ISO by some other means before "burning" via Nero.

Your image posts for Nero is what I see. I.E. DVD-ROM(boot) and CD-ROM(boot) for ISO only and not UDF. Once you select one of these

the corresponding tab will only show ISO for these formats and not UDF.

Moreover, the 2nd image shows the iso and udf icons which give one the ability to boot the DVD to install VISTA. If one tries to

create a DVD bootable ISO with NERO and copy the whole VISTA dirctory structure off the HDD to the NERO program, it will detect

the install.wim being greater than 2 gigs and complain that UDF should be used and copy everything over but files greater than 2 gigs.

But if one tries to do a this in NERO as UDF, Nero doesn't allow you to make the UDF bootable. Nor does it allow one to create

a DVD with both ISO and UDF on the same DVD - which is needed.

I guess NERO isn't as advanced as I thought it was.... but UltraISO seems to have been doing this since 2006.

45, UltraISO 8.0 PE(Premium Edition) (April 13, 2006)

+) Supports UDF DVD images, can add/extract files above 4GB large (up to 200GB)

+) Can create bootable UDF images (such as bootable DVD of Windows Vista)

+) Can mount ISO image to virtual CD/DVD drives of Daemon-Tools 4.x and Alcohol 120% 1.9.5.3

+) Can change disc label of ISO images with UDF volume

The FAQ says it supports up to 2TB instead of 200GB. This is the limit of the MBR record for NTFS support.

Edited by mikesw