Reinstall XP from D:

dustit

Hello, everyone. I have XP installed on C:, but I'd like to reinstall. I've slipstreamed my source files with SP3, made an unattended setup and stored it all in a folder under D:. How do I install directly from there (not using Win98 bootdisks though)?

You mean a complete "wipe/reinstall" (Clean Install) or a "Repair Reinstall" (aka, if C: is older/same SP-level, then Upgrade/Repace Current)?

If first, you have to boot via some method to access the i386 folder to run WinNT (or WinNT32 if Preinstall Environment aka PE). If second, just double-click on i386/winnt32.

In either case, make sure that you know your key or already have it embedded in you TXTSETUP.SIF (or UNATTEND.TXT or whatever). You could also (in either case) just burn a CD (if possible). Methods of "booting" are available for USB Stick, USB HDD, Remote, etc, in addition to old-fashioned Floppy. Fair warning on Clean Install - if you messed up anything in your Slipstream, you may lose a lot of stuff. Best to test it out in a Virtual (VM/VPC) environment.

So.... yes. ;)

(look around the forum; this question and others like it have already been answered many times in many different sub-forums)

... and HTH

Edited by submix8c

^I don't have a setup.exe. I'm trying to rebuild from an i386 folder from a pre-installed system.

to submix: I'm trying for a clean reinstall. I don't know if a BartPE can be made from an OEM copy. The other options to boot aren't available to me. I looked around the forum a bit but I didn't get a clear picture of how it's done and this is my first time trying something like this so...

Not having "SETUP.EXE" indicates that you've built this with the "supplied" i386 folder, since the EXE is one of the files found in the ROOT of an install CD. Is this true? If so...

Provided that you have a complete i386 folder (all components present and accounted for), all you need is the WIN51, WIN51Ix (where x=P fror Pro, x=C for Home), and WIN51Ix.SP3 files for a Bootable CD. You would also need to get (from somewhere; file available from many legitimate download locations) the Boot Image (win2k, winxp, any of those work), then burn a Bootable CD (instructions found all over for this). Then you can install from BootableCD.

Any way you go, with clean install you have to boot. Again, go to MS, get Virtual PC, Install it, Learn how it works, Test your unattend in it, then after satisfied it works, then proceed with a Wipe-and-Install.

edit - perhaps BartPE will work on an OEM; appears to be only one glitch and it's resolution is in the Bart's PE Faq's.

HTH

Edited by submix8c

I don't have enough RAM to run a virtual machine. I have all the files to make a bootable CD but I'd like to try other methods first before I fall back onto that.

I'll look into BartPE again, though if anyone has another method please let me know. Thanks up till now.

It's hard to say how you can get away with it.

If I were you I would EITHER:

use the XP installation floppies

use grub4dos to directly chainload the SETUPLDR.BIN in the \I386 directory, but cannot say how an XP install will behave from d:\, you'll need to edit TXTSETUP.SIF:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Alternative-loca...en-t119742.html

Don't you have a spare USB stick to install from it?:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=157

If you are going the "Bart" PE + WINNT32.EXE way, you can most probably build an an easier manner the LiveXP with winbuilder with instructions given here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=121446

jaclaz