recover 2k server ntldr from 2k pro disc

Hi guys,

My apologies if this sounds like a stupid question but I would like to know if I can recover ntldr (that age old missing file) on my windows 2000 server from a windows 2000 professional cd. This box contains a lot of important data and unfortunaley some genius has scratched up our svr 2k disc leaving me with no dev server and no way to recover it.

Help is greatly appreciated :)

Yes, same module (just checked). This may not "cure" your problem, tho, as I (vaguely) remember moving a HDD from one PC to another and got that error. I also recollect some MS article about it.

HTH

edit1 - google for "ntldr missing windows-2000" yields several articles -

a fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397

How To Troubleshoot -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728

edit2 - if your server cd is "mostly" readable, it may be possible to create a new one for components corrupted from the pro cd. try using an evaluation version of isobuster to extract the files/folders (or just copy copy copy). then let me know which ones failed reading and i'll let you know whether they're identical or not. (i think that's legal/not violating rules...)

big giant edit! @fdv Yeah, already did the check. any other info/links you could help OP with?

Edited by submix8c

Are you asking if the files are cross-compatible? If so, yes; your emergency is solved.

But if you discover that you're getting an NTLDR missing error and the file -is- there, that's a whole different can of worms...

edit: oops, did not see submix's reply, my reply window had been open before his reply.

Edited by fdv

As fdv pointed out, besides scratching the CD, the "genius" must have also deleted NTLDR on the HD.

If not, you may have a problemm with your bootsector.

If this is the case, you should make yourself a PE or a Recovery Console CD and repair the bootsector also.

Guide for making an XP RC (it will work allright for 2K as well):

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=2254

jaclaz

Hey guys, just thought I would update this post.

The server in question has recently been moved (physical location) and from what I can gather from my manager this has happened before when we moved the box (I don't know why it keeps being moved I'm just a minion for people who put up red tape). either way I just put a 2kpro disc in to try and troubleshoot the box and guess what?!

IT BOOTS - no recovery console needed no boot from CD just straight to logon screen. I suspect it may be a problem with the disc array so needless to say I'm going to back up the data and move this install to another box for the time being.

Thanks for the help and keep up the good work :)