wireless router help ( solved thanks)

i have dial up on my desktop computer and want to share its connection with my laptop.

problem is as soon as i try to hook up the router it asks for a DSL or cable connection. i cant seem to get one to just pass along the network connection with shared dial up.

i made it do it once, but when i turned it off to go to bed it was gone. never to return.

in only using 2 computers so it would seem i don't even need a router, just a usb wireless network adapter, thats what in doing now, again i got it to work a few times but nothing consistent..

so is it possible to get into the programming of the router ?? i heard maybe change its ip address so it can just be a carrier or pass along the signal, is this possible ???? any ideas ??

thanks

James

Edited by fun4now

:blink::wacko:

Thought you weren't using a router? Musta meant "wireless" (that you don't have)...

1 - In DesktopPC, ensure Share the Dial-up with USB Wireless (NO BRIDGING)

2 - Connect NIC in DesktopPC to router (not the single plug; it's for connection to Cable/ADSL modem, i.e. the WWW)

3 - Connect NIC in Laptop to router (not the single...)

4 - Turn on Router, Desktop, and Laptop (switchbox in play anywhere? again, not familiar with OR wireless)

5 - DialUp/SignOn to your ISP with the Desktop

Above (theoretically) should allow either Wired (when Laptop hooked to Router) or Wireless (when not). The ISP dialup will assign a Public IP (e.g. 68.1.1.255). The USB wireless will have 192.168.0.1 and will assign an IP within the appropriate range to the Laptop when Wireless. The Router usually also has 192.168.0.1 (sometimes 192.168.1.1, depending on the make/model) and will assign an IP within the appropriate range to both the Desktop NIC and the Laptop NIC when Wired.

re The Switchbox -

I assume it's some sort of RJ45 (e.g. telephone) Switchbox (manual switch?) that you used to switch to either the Desktop or the Laptop (whichever you were using to dial-up at the time). This item is unnecessary in the above scenario. Remove it from the setup and put the Telephone Line directly into your Desktop Modem. Use it only if you really need to use either/or (RJ45-Wired only), one PC can connect only, no simultaneaous WWW connection.

No other way about it. You have Dial-up and it appears that a "combo wirless router" with a dial-up interface is rare(?). Read here please -http://www.notebookforums.com/thread113829.html

It basically tells you the same thing I just said...

It may be that the combo of above may be biting you. Read the Router Manual to see how to "program" it. It may be that there's a conflict if the Router is using 192.168.0.1 (Desktop ICS setup default). Instead of changing the Router, try this -

- Right-click on the USB Wireless connection, click Properties

- In lower pane, select TCP/IP, click Properties

- Change the 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1

This is effectively what you could to to the Router instead. Now the Laptop (when wireless) will be assigned 192.168.1.n and the Wired way is as above.

edit - Oops, maybe XP won't allow that to be changed. Read the article and your Router manual. You'll get the gist.

HTH...

edit2 (from other thread) -

i suspect i will need to go back to a wireless router. that is if i can figure out how to bypass it wanting DSL or Cable for the internet option. i need to share internet threw my desktop.
Well, I just got real confused. Above still stands, but you don't Share to the USB Wirless (in Desktop), you Share to the NIC. Still have to change the Router IP address. The above linked "article" appears to be tailor-made just for you! Not sure why "wanting DSL or Cable"; that extra "plug" (the WWW one that stands separate from the others) is irrelevant/not-used. Betcha the whole problem stems from the conflicting IP address. Is that "message" coming from the Laptop? If so, just tell it DSL (a lie) since you're connecting THRU the Desktop! Edited by submix8c

i don't have a router any more. i started out with a desktop, wired to router, then wireless from router to laptop wireless.

dial up went into desktop then cat5 cable from desktop to router ( not into DSL slot) then went wireless to notebook.

when i turned on the router stooped install at the install DSL point.

i managed to get it to connect one time with the dial up connection on my desktop showing up on my laptop as a gateway device. all was god i was surfing the web on laptop with just wireless connection, at the same time wife was surfing net on desktop. after i turned it off for the night it wouldn't connect again in the morning, no matter what i did.

so i started thinking the router was the problem, and not needed with only 2 computers.

so i just got a wireless USB network device for the desktop. the new laptop has a built in wireless network some where ???

i had better luck with creating an AD-HOC network with just the desktop USB wireless device and laptop. then it seemed like Vista on my laptop would setup security on the laptop and cut the connection ???

i asked at my local computer repair shop and they just said it cant be done ?? but i did it a few times so i know it can be done, and it seems like it should be a simple thing.

its not turning out to be so simple .

the desktop has Windows XP on it the laptop has Vista 64bit on it. i went on line and downloaded every update i could find for XP and they were all already installed ??

it seems i will have to take the control away from some thing in order to keep them from conflicting ?? just don't have a clue how to do so ???

if i need to get another router, thats fine with me. i just need some one to tell me what i need and what to do to make it stay connected.

right now I'm hooked up with cat5 cable so i can have an access point in bedroom and in living room without dragging wire back and forth. so i added a router/switch so i could have to cat 5 cable's hooked up at once. basically using it as a splitter. works fine without , i just want 2 points i can plug in.

I'll g threw the articles you mentioned.

thanks for the help.

James

Sorry, but you keep confusing me.

You have -

- a Wireless Router having an Antenna(?), several CAT5 ports, and 1 port for hooking to Cable/DSL

- a Switchbox (RJ45 phone line) having a "switch" and several RJ45 "ports"

- a USB Wireless device (an antenna? sometimes, but probably not)

- a Laptop w/Vista and it has "built-in" Wireless, a NIC (CAT5), and Modem (Dial-up RJ45)

- a Desktop w/XP and it has a NIC (CAT5) and a Modem (Dial-up RJ-45)

Correct?

Probably the Laptop has Wireless in it if it worked with the Router (at one time). Yes, the Router will cause problems when tring to Share through the Desktop. My info on Router setup has not been accurate (suggested reading the doc IF you REALLY want to use it). Gave a link that specifically fit your scenario IF you really wanted to use it.

No, you do not need the Router if you use the USB Wireless in the Desktop.

Beyond that, it's not a matter of "hardware and how to hook up"; probably a matter of the XP and Vista in relation to the Firewalls in the operating systems. That's why they supply a "Home Networking Wizard" in them. More adept people don't even use it, but set it up for themselves. It's meant as a tool for the average user.

Again, rerun the Home Networking Wizards (in both XP and Vista) and indicate that it has a Local Connection (or whatever). Somewhere toward the end it will ask about creating a Floppy; just say "Nah, I don't need it" and it will exit. Then double-check your ICS in the XP to ensure still set. Actually, this should only be necessary in the XP to open up the ports for WWW (i.e. the Dial-up, i THINK! I use a not-MS Firewall! Different setup!).

I don't currently have an XP up-and-running, so I can't give you specifics at the time, and don't have Vista at all. This should (theoretically) automagically set up the Firewalls and Sharing for you.

Trust me, what you want CAN be done and it's not rocket science. If it comes down to it, you can "reset" both PC's and start from scratch one-step-at-a-time. If you keep "experimenting", you will aggravate the problem. Again, WITH the USB Wireless follow my instructions, and WITH the Router follow the Link (above) instructions. If it doesn't work, you're doing something wrong...

Pick one way, USB Wireless OR Router, and stick with it. Either way should work "as specified in the instructions". Don't try to "mix and match" because it complicates the setup.

i had better luck with creating an AD-HOC network with just the desktop USB wireless device and laptop. then it seemed like Vista on my laptop would setup security on the laptop and cut the connection ???
...and with that, it shows all is/should-be well EXCEPT setting up the Vista Firewall... P.S. the Desktop has to be running BEFORE turning on the laptop! Just like the Router would have to be turned on BEFORE the PC's. The Device (PC, Router, LAN HUB, whatever) that is connected/connecting-to the Internet ALWAYS has to be turned on FIRST, period! Edited by submix8c

i hope this makes it better not more confusing.

sorry its so confusing, the link you gave me seems to walk me threw the hole setup using a wireless router. so i may just g that way to simplify things as its a step by step explanation.

as for what i have to work with, I'll try to break it down better

computer 1 desktop

desktop is running win. XP 32 bit, with all updates installed

has a 56K modem ( inside case attached to mother board, came with it) that i connect to the INTERNET directly with.

has a NIC (CAT5) card installed ( again inside, came with it )

i added

a Belkin N wireless USB Adapter, P58560-B, Ver. 4001 , PT# F5D8053

in hopes of using it as my network link from desktop to laptop. it is hooked up now and the computer said its working properly.

before i got the USB network card i tried a Linksys N Rangeplus wireless Router

this router is not hooked up but i have sitting in box if needed, or can be returned to save me some $$

computer 2 laptop

laptop is running Win. Vista 64bit, probably needs updates as its new and they always want 200MB of updates when you first turn them on :realmad:

has a 56k modem built in ( came like that )

Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

has Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN

right now i have the 2 networked together by wire as fallows

desktop computer

6ft cat5 cable

linksys 5 port workgroup switch ( model # EZXS55W)

50 ft. fastCAT 5e ( run to bedroom for laptop when I'm in there, empty when not)

50 ft. fastCAT 5e ( run to living room for laptop when I'm in there, empty when not)

the 5 port workgroup switch is just to keep me from dragging wire back and forth, by allowing me 2 plug in options in the house. so its only used as a convenience, not needed but worked a a splitter for me to have 2 cables. it dose not control my INTERNET, just lets it run threw with the rest of the connection as i have INTERNET sharing (ICS) on my desktop (XP) and it shows up on my laptop network places as a gateway device ( apparently this is Microsoft's way to label it) and i have INTERNET on both computers at he same time.

yes i have to turn on my desktop first and connect to the INTERNET with it , then i have it every where as long as i don't disconnect it at the desktop. i also have my printer/scanner attached to the desktop and shared so i can print from it with aether desktop or laptop.( this is also working fine )

this is what i want to do wirelessly. being as the wireless signal will cover the hold house i should not need a router to act as a switch due to only having a total of 2 computers.i should be able to have only the USB adapter attached to the desktop and use the internal laptop wireless, allowing me to get rid of all the cables and the 5 port workgroup switch.

i would prefer to use the USB wireless adapter as i have managed to lose its reseat, so i cant return it. the router was returned weeks ago but i picked up a new one today so i could fallow the above article's directions.

....................................................................................................

Trust me, what you want CAN be done and it's not rocket science. If it comes down to it, you can "reset" both PC's and start from scratch one-step-at-a-time. If you keep "experimenting", you will aggravate the problem. Again, WITH the USB Wireless follow my instructions, and WITH the Router follow the Link (above) instructions. If it doesn't work, you're doing something wrong...

....................................................................................................

thats what i thought, and don't understand why it all went south on me ???

how would i go about resetting it all back to scratch ??

and

as i was looking around in properties to try to find a conflict i noticed the fallowing.

Properties for nic card

Advanced tab

The fallowing properties are available for this network adapter

802. 11 chanel width for band 2.4.……………….20 MHz Only

It has an option for

AD Hoc Channel 802.11 b/g

Ad hoc default wireless mode

And so on

the desktop is not set the same as the laptop ?

laptop is set to

802. 11 chanel width for band 2.4.……………….20 MHz Only

desktop is set to

property

Ad hoc Wireless Mode

Value

802.11 B/G Mix (its here now) or 802.11 B only

it has several options such as

property

auto chanel select

value

enable or disable

property

Network type

value

802.11 Ad hoc or infrastructure

so should the 2 computers match here ??? is this a part of the problem ?

i was thinking the desktop being set to 802.11 B/G MIX would drop my signal straight maybe but would still be backward compatible with the laptop being an N and backward compatible if its about signal type. i could be wrong, and may not need to mess with any of this ???? keeping in mind the USB wireless adapter is N Type.

could just be adding to my problem even worrying about it.

did i say thanks for the help and sorry for the head ache, i hope so. :thumbup

if this all makes any sense at all to you?? how would you proceed ???

step one

"reset" both PC's and start from scratch one-step-at-a-time.

sounds good, how do i proceed ?? i humbly await your advice. :blushing:

Guest tekkiegurl

not all router are wireless. there are router that still need cables. having a router gives you connection even when another pc is closed. in installing this router there should be a synch opening of the device. a device should be open first before another to get the setting complete.

OK so I'm trying to figure out this ip address conflict possibility ???

i cant find how to make changes to the pi's ?

and are we talking ipv4 address or ipv6 address or gateway addresses ???

here are a few i found ( but no idea how to change them ? )

and not shore these are the settings I'm looking for ??

Vista-laptop

Wired network info

Physical address 00-23-54-F2-47-CF

DHCP Enabled yes

IPv4 ip address 192.168.0.15

Ipv4 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Ipv4 default gateway 192.168.0.1

Ipv4 DHCP server 192.168.0.1

Ipv4 DNS Server 192.168.0.1

Ipv6 ip address 2002;49d;50b2;a.f5f2.f0c;c8af;262

Wireless settings

Physical address 00-21-5d-2b-6f-c4

auto configuration ipv4.… 169.254.60.35

Ipv4 subnet mask 255.255.0.0

Ipv1 default gateway blank

Ipv4 DNS Server blank

Ipv4 wins server bank

Link-local ipv6 address fe;;41e6;d26d;a5eb;3c23%12

so is this what I'm looking for ?? it doesn't look like the pic's in the articles ?? but the one on USB only connect is leaving me with a lot of blanks as to how to get to the places to change settings ???

i also don't seem to be able to rid myself of previous versions of networks in XP.

i changed over to a new work group on both computers, but even my wired network is now "network2" ??? :wacko:

so my attempt at setting up with just the USB to internal laptop connection is crashing fast.

i thin i will try the router version later on today to see if i can get better results. he seems to give better instructions ?? we will see if i can work my way threw it and get hooked up.

wish me luck.. :blushing:

first i think i will take a break from all the thinking and play a lil C&C Red alert 3 to calm the nerves. just found out theres an expansion pack. :thumbup

thanks for the help

James

Please read carefully (hope I didn't miss the boat here).

You have -

A- desktop XP 32 bit

1- 56K modem connect to the INTERNET

2- NIC

3- Belkin N wireless USB Adapter, P58560-B, Ver. 4001 , PT# F5D8053

*- latest drivers are here -

** http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid...8343&scid=0

** - V3xxx-Dt Ver OS

** - 11/24/08 2.0.0.4 Win2000 WinXP32 WinVista32 WinVista64

** - 11/24/08 2.0.0.8 Win2000 WinXP32 WinVista32 WinVista64

** - V4xxx-Dt Ver (? older date ?)

** - 10/06/08 2.03.07 Win2000 WinXP32 WinVista32 WinVista64

** * Software installed to "Program Files/Belkin/F5D8053" (has a SetupWizard)

B- Laptop Vista 64bit

1- 56k modem

2- Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

3- Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN

C- External devices

1- RJ45 (phone) SwitchBox

2- Linksys N Rangeplus Wireless Router (Model WRT110 version 1.0?)

*- enter Router Setup via Internet Explorer HTTP://192.168.1.1 (don't click on this)

*- has a SetupWizard (drivers, etc; MUST USE the Drivers for Wireless Router)

*- for Wired, SetupWizard unnecessary

** Note: Setup and SetupWizard are two different "beasts" so don't confuse the two

Ok, this sounds just a little crazy. The USB Wireless appears to only allow accessing a Wireless Router and not directly to the Laptop, soooo here we go! And remember, I don't have any Wireless equipment nor a router, but am familiar with Wired Routers. Now I suggest you again read the Documentation for the Router. I don't know about the Built-In Wireless in the Laptop...

Copy and Paste the CodeBox contents to a Notepad/Wordpad/MS-Word document and save/print it. These are the best instructions I can provide, so please follow them.

*- To get to the following, you must go to Network Connections
** Note1: Don't forget to click OK or Apply then X-it after each
** Note2: I always have "Show Icon When Connected" checked (to "see" in Tray)
** -- it appears that the USB creates it's own by default
1- remove ICS from BOTH PC's (if you have it set up)
-- Network Connections (ANY/ALL Right-Click, Properties->Advanced)
--- note: only one may/will have this
2- remove any Bridge from BOTH PC's (ANY/ALL if you have any set up)
-- under Network Bridge, right-click OTHER THAN NETWORK BRIDGE and "Remove"
--- note: the Network Bridge(s) will "disappear"
** At this point, you should have -
3- in the Desktop, you should have -
*a- a Dial-Up Modem (your Internet)
*b- a NIC (unused)
*c- a USB Wireless Connection (unused)
4- in the Laptop, you should have -
*a- a Dial-Up Modem (unused)
*b- a NIC (unused)
*c- a Wireless (unused)
5- The SwitchBox is unnecessary - put in away
6- The Router is necessary - put it near the Desktop
** For this to work uncomplicated, the Desktop is the Internet Access Point
7- for 3-a and 4-a, Right-Click, Properties and ensure
*a- TCP/IP and MS Client for Microsoft Networks Services exist and checked
*b- File/Printer Sharing Service UnChecked (keep the outside world OUT)
8- for 3-b and 4-b, Right-Click, Properies and ensure
*a- TCP/IP and MS Client for Microsoft Networks Services exist and checked
*-- * for each, click on it, select Properties and ensure
*-- *- both items seen (Obtain IP and DNS Automatic) are checked
*b- File/Printer Sharing Service Checked (this is your Internal Network)
*c- If TCP/IPv6 exists, it's safe to UnCheck (I do; unnecessary)
** At this point the Wired Connection portion on both PC's is "reset"
9- REMOVE the USB Wireless and Uninstall the Software
** it serves no purpose and just complicates things
10- on the Desktop in Control Panel, select Internet Options
**- click Connections and check "Never Dial A Connection"
**- note1 - I assume you have ISP Software installed
** and you connect using it ad-hoc/on-demand (kinda like AOL-krap)
**- note2 - you can do this to the Laptop as well

I assume at this point, you've read the Router Manual. There will be a screen similar to these (same link as before) -

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread113829.html

Now follow the instructions (for you, it's Option #2).

And, yes, I downloaded and perused the Manuals for the Router and USB Wireless so I could "see" what the heck was going on. It's up to you to set it up properly from here, since I'm not where you are and have no physical access. If something "goes wrong", just follow the above Instructions to "reset" yourself again. Hey, you'll just be back to DialUp on either PC (same as now).

HTH

edit - one more thing - some "colors" in you posts are unreadable. please refrain from it unless absolutely necessary.

Edited by submix8c

sorry, not trying to ignore you.

i went to the link you gave me for drivers , downloaded them and the owners manual at the coffee shop .

got home and went to turn on the computer only to find its crashed, dead, nothing ??? :realmad:

couldn't find my way back to here for help, but found another microsoft linked site to help as well as the comps home site. any way long and short of it is i'm on my desktop now but will get back to you and this as soon as i get the new laptop up and running.

big thanks for all the help, i really do appreciate it and your being so patient with my computer illiteracy.

James

P.S. the site asked me to download acrobat 9.1 when i went for the owners manual. i suspect thats a possible virus, or my hard drive died on its own ?? no operating system and even the recovery disk they gave me would not work. i even made a new one from the VISTA site, again mo can do.

p.s.P.S. man do i suck at this computer stuff. :w00t::P

Noooo! NOT a virus! All of the legitimate Vendor/OEM (e.g. hardware/drivers) sites use PDF format for their documentation. And they usually redirect you to the Adobe site to get the PDF Reader, also the original Vendor.

I already downloaded all of the manuals. Don't have Adobe 9.1 Reader installed since I use an older version of Acrobat Pro (create/modify/etc.), but can definitively tell you that if you downloaded from the sites indicated, that did NOT cause the poor baby to go ka-blooey!

Sounds very much like your new lappy got a bad case of "dead battery" or "I think I'll die now"; try recharging the battery. The Laptop Vendor (whoever made it/wherever you purchased it?) Restore stuff should have worked no problem-o. A return for replacement may/may-not be in order.

Lastly, you point out that you were in a coffee shop downloading. FWIW, if you don't have your defenses up (Firewall/AntiVirus/Trojan), it's possible that in such an environment you could be "penetrated". And, the-powers-that-be-help-you, maybe someone inadvertantly spilled a drop of liquid into it???

Sheeesh!!!!

Edited by submix8c

glad to hear the site was not carrying a virus.:)

i had a full battery and was on a plug here at home trying to get it working. it just had a bad hard drive or like you said it came from the coffee shop.

stuff happens.

for the record, i in no way intended anyone to think i was putting any blame on this site. you guys have been nothing but help to me. 4 that a thank you .

the geeks at BB replaced the laptop, or rather took it back and i upgraded. figured i would improve my graphics wile i was at it.

on the brighter side i now have a clean network setup to start over with.

but i need to take a day off and get the new lap up and working first.

i went to a ASUS G50VT

really nice setup with a NVIDIA 9800m GeForce card in it for graphics. :thumbup

thanks again

James

Sorry about the color changes, :blushing: I thought it would help keep stuff separate.

I have most of the stuff loaded on the new laptop and will attempt the wireless connection with the router tomorrow.

I still need to get Microsoft outlook working ??

all is good now, cant thank you all enough.

i could not access the wireless router threw XP, or rather i could get to it but not make any changes. explorer would lose it when i went to save changes??

so i took a shot st it threw my laptop with Vista and it took the changes and is now working great.

it was an IP address conflict as you said, well you and all the articles :blushing: . i just couldn't find access to it and then make the changes.

i still cant seem to get into the wireless usb adapter, so i went with the router. accessed it threw Vista's network places, under manage view computers and devices. did a double click on the router and boom i was in. made a change to the last .1 of the address changing it to .22 closed it up and chose home as the security location. i took down the fire wall wile doing all this . its back up now but I'm not shore i need it if I'm coming in threw the desktop doesn't the desktop cover the security needs ?? better safe than sorry.

all is good now, i could not ask for more out of the new comp, or network setup.

i have windows mail working in and out, the wireless network is running strong ( well at dial up speeds ) and games are way cool graphics, way better than my desktop could ever hope for. just need to work out my N52te and I'll be good to go.

the N52te is not a huge deal, but will help out in 1st person games. i can live with or without it, the computer is good to go. :thumbup