[Solved] Realtek network card and Vista

GrofLuigi

Did you try to install the drivers in safemode?

(...with the highest-imaginable-pitched auntie voice:) OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! IT WORKS!

You are the coolest :ph34r: !

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

How the hell did you know that?!

You must have known it, you repeated it twice. Oh come on, tell us... hello:

...Now I'm gonna start bombarding you guys with Vista questions. :o

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

Windows wasn't shutting down well, and it still isn't. It has something to do with the BIOS for sure or and the chipset drivers plus I blame powersafe functions too. In Safe-mode it shuts down well, this is why it "remembers" that the driver is installed.

Good it "works" and have fun with Vista, I'm sure you like it better than XP ;).

I investigated more and it turns out it was one of the settings after all. "Shutdown Wake-On-Lan". If disabled, problem reappears. I guess I missed it in my initial testing, and in safe mode I was overjoyous and didn't change a thing for several reboots. But I don't like to leave things unfinished, so I investigated one setting by one (toggle one, return the previous one, reboot). There is also another setting, "Wake-On-Lan-Capabilities", which doesn't affect the problem.

On another note,

...Now I'm gonna start bombarding you guys with Vista questions. :o
Good it "works" and have fun with Vista, I'm sure you like it better than XP ;).

I tried and it didn't go. It was like to be with nagging, annoying, controlling and useless wife (no offense to the ladies). So I filed for divorce by typing format F: :thumbup

GL

* Edit: Thanks again to all who responded, and it seems many of you were right in a way (something wrong in BIOS, something not right about the driver, 64bit...) I hope this thread might help someone in the future... I know it was driving me mad for quite some time.

Edited by GrofLuigi

I tried and it didn't go. It was like to be with nagging, annoying, controlling and useless wife (no offense to the ladies).

You can turn of those "are you sure" questions ;).

I would hate it too when my future wife would ask me that* all the time! :lol:

* not going into details...

You can turn of those "are you sure" questions ;).

I would hate it too when my future wife would ask me that* all the time! :lol:

* not going into details...

That's the least of the problems...

There are not enough gigabytes on this forum to start listing all the things that annoy me in Vista. Maybe another time, another place. And what's the point anyway... I don't want to persuade anyone, it's not like I'll gain anythining.

I just don't want it anywhere near me.

GL