Did a new w2k SP4 come out? based on date code

mikesw

I would be VERY dubious about it. I recently saw some news (at least here, in Czech) that a "big bad hacker" is hacking all Windows except updated Vista... and then second news like "hacker is striking back at M$" and so on... So maybe this updated SP4 has already a hole inside, that allow the infection and... Buy Vista! :realmad:

Someone should take the old file, the new one and run compare on them, bite by bite. Maybe these are NOT the same and like I say, I'm very highly suspicous when come to M$...

I updated my install with SP4 already, and using Czech version of Windows, so I dubt I manage to find the SP4 file...

Just because the file was republished does not mean anything in it changed. If it hashes the same as the old (as has already been discovered), it was likely a page update to the old page that required a republish of the page and file.

So maybe this updated SP4 has already a hole inside, that allow the infection and... Buy Vista! :realmad:
Either you're trying to be funny or you're seriously paranoid.

Well, the question is not if I'm paranoid, but if I'm paranoid enough. Certainly I don't trying to be funny, I tried that once with the SM bootscreen and you did not like it :) Anyway, dunno how things go in your part of the world, but there is M$ pushing hard to push users into the whole Vista scam by various ways. One of them is threatening users of Windows in news, that their Win systems can be easily compromised and that M$ is currently hunting BIG hacker that compomised - unless you have Vista with latest updates :thumbup

See there: http://www.novinky.cz/internet-a-pc/software/161342-.html

(15 millions of PC infected, even military PC infected in France and UK and blah blah blah 250 000$ a head price for that great hacker guy, blah blah blah blah)

And soon they followed it with "hacker striking back" there: http://www.novinky.cz/internet-a-pc/software/162493-.html

(hacker is striking back, new version of Conficker B++, blah blah blah you are not safe unless you have Vista with latest updates, blah blah blah)

(new in Czech, use Google translator to get to the point)

Now every Winblows are in danger, blah blah blah blah... If you just listen for a while to this nonsense, you get the feeling that they want YOU to upgrade on their nonfunctional-DRM-crippled system right away. Call me paranoid or just laugh - like I care ;)

I never ever used any updates and I never ever got any virus. HW firewall rules :)

Edited by caps_buster

I wondering if MSoft updated their W2K SP4 patch since the date on this webpage state 2/24/2009 for the patch?

Actually, that's not the date of the patch, it's the date of the webpage. (And it's "2/26/2009" not 2/24...)

Same hash, Same file....

Also, same date, same file....

(The file on the Server is dated Fri, 20 Jun 2003)

You could also try checking the (dated) Digital Signature.... No third-party hash program needed.

I reported this, two days ago, in the HFSLIP forum... (in this Topic).

M$ pushing hard to push users into the whole Vista scam by various ways. One of them is threatening users of Windows in news, that their Win systems can be easily compromised and that M$ is currently hunting BIG hacker that compomised - unless you have Vista with latest updates :thumbup

You sound like you even believe what you say (Cornficker is just a big MS conspiracy to make you upgrade somehow -- just because some story says Vista is safe? even though they patched 2k/xp/vista?). Scary thought.

their nonfunctional-DRM-crippled system

Except it's neither nonfunctional nor DRM crippled. To quote cluberti (same applies to Vista as Win 7):

Anyone who spouts the "Windows 7 is teh DRM evil!" to claim why their system performs poorly, their sound or video doesn't work as well as it does on 2000 or XP, or that the protected video path or audio path code causes the machine to otherwise behave in an erratic manner is obviously being either deceitful in hopes to find some way to trash Win7 or really has no idea what they're actually discussing, nor doesn't bother reading up on how it works (and doesn't).
I never ever used any updates and I never ever got any virus. HW firewall rules :)

Not that a firewall protects against viruses in any way...