cant boot from CDROM in AHCI mode.

aviv88

* sorry, poor english *

I can't even start insalling WindowsXpProSP3.

i try part B: "B. Integration of the nForce AHCI drivers".

after integrating the drivers with nLite, i set in BIOS to AHCI mode but the CD can't boot from optical drive,

so i can't start the installation.

(but if i set back to IDE mode, any CD can boot)

what i'm doing wrong ?

ga73pvms2.jpg

TIA :)

i have:

* Motherboard: GA-73PVM-S2H

* Hard drive: WD3200AAKS

* Optical drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40

Edited by aviv88

aviv88, I assume you built your CD with nLite? Did you include text mode drivers. Please take a look at this post and please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

to 'johnhc',

i integrated well the drivers with nLite, i'm sure. (onley drivers in textmode) .

and then direct burn to CD.

my WinXpSP3 is freash.

to 'Coffeefiend',

i installed win xp on this PC befor - when it was new, in SATA mode, everything was OK,

i just don't understand why now the burner not boot from CD in SATA mode...

maybe you guys prepare for me REG. file for this PC...?

I assume i need to place files in my "WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS" foolder...

tel me step by step what to do.

TIA smile.gif

* the drivers i use with nLite: 32bit nForce SATA_IDE drivers v10.3.0.42 WHQL

LAST_SESSION.INI

aviv88, I'm sorry, I had responded to the wrong problem. I thought you had trouble finding the install HDD. I know some have had trouble booting from a SATA CDROM, but I don't know why. I will do some looking and I encourage you to do some searching here. I do not understand the question about the .REG file. If you can't boot your CD, a .REG file will do you no good. Please explain if I have misunderstood again. Enjoy, John.

aviv88, I'm sorry, I had responded to the wrong problem. I thought you had trouble finding the install HDD. I know some have had trouble booting from a SATA CDROM, but I don't know why. I will do some looking and I encourage you to do some searching here. I do not understand the question about the .REG file. If you can't boot your CD, a .REG file will do you no good. Please explain if I have misunderstood again. Enjoy, John.

no new installation, just thought to do like here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=823780

- Copy file nvgts.sys to %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers,

- Copy the REG. code, apply it,

- reboot,

- set in BIOS to AHCI mode,

and when windows start , it will be good, device manager will show : "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller".

what do you think ..?

Edited by aviv88

@ aviv88:

Many SATA connected optical drives don't like to be run in AHCI or RAID mode, some of them don't work at all unless the associated SATA Controller has been set to IDE mode. Tip: You may look for a firmware update for your DVD drive. Maybe the vendor has already solved the problem.

If you are not even able to boot off your built-in DVD drive, I doubt, that it will work properly in AHCI mode at all. You will certainly be able to get XP running in AHCI mode

- either by borrowing an IDE connected optical drive and using it during the XP installation off your prepared CD with integrated AHCI drivers

- or by installing the OS in IDE mode and then copying the SATA AHCI driver and running the AHCI registry patch,

but I doubt, that you will ever be able to boot off your currently running DVD drive.

Users with a problem like yours have the following options:

a ) If availble, connect the optical drive to a SATA Controller of another vendor (for example Silicon Image) or disable the AHCI/RAID mode of the individual SATA Controller, where the optical drive is connected to (both obviously not possible with your mainboard).

b ) Buy and insert an IDE connected optical drive (there is no speed disadvantage at all!) or a SATA one, which has no boot problems if set to AHCI mode.

c ) Set the SATA mode to IDE (disadvantage: no AHCI features like NCQ and Hot Plugging).

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Thanks 'Fernando 1' for detailed answer, :)

first, you right, my optical drive made the problem.

as you suggest i tried firmware update, still no boot.

then i installed my old IDE CD-RW and... :thumbup ... finally i have bootable optical drive in AHCI mode.

(thanks for this tip, i didn't know optical IDE can do this...),

old drive for boot and installation - and "problem" drive just as a burner - i'll live with that.

thanks for your help and tips. :)

btw, sooner or later i'll make fresh WINXP-AHCI install, until then,

i'm trying to fix the SATA controller installation from 'device manager',

not obsessive about that, i'll give it chance.

i reach to this point, how to continue from here...?

20090226-y6b-25kb.jpg

then i installed my old IDE CD-RW and... :thumbup ... finally i have bootable optical drive in AHCI mode.
Just a side note: An optical IDE drive is not able to run in AHCI mode, because AHCI is a SATA standard and not available for natively IDE Controllers.
i'm trying to fix the SATA controller installation from 'device manager',

not obsessive about that, i'll give it chance.

i reach to this point, how to continue from here...?

You should give me some more informations about the reason of the yellow mark.

Do a right click onto the device and look for the issue and maybe the HardwareID's ("Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's").

aviv88, did you include a driver for the yellow device? The text mode driver only covered the install phase. For running Windows, you need the driver that probably comes with your main board. The Last Session you posted did not contain any run mode drivers. Please attach a new one if different. Enjoy, John.

Just a side note: An optical IDE drive is not able to run in AHCI mode, because AHCI is a SATA standard and not available for natively IDE Controllers.
I Meant AHCI mode in BIOS. i thought onley SATA optical drives can boot in this BIOS-mode.

20090226-19j-52kb.jpg

20090226-d59-45kb.jpg

20090226-r0p-34kb.jpg

Edited by aviv88

aviv88, did you include a driver for the yellow device? The text mode driver only covered the install phase. For running Windows, you need the driver that probably comes with your main board. The Last Session you posted did not contain any run mode drivers. Please attach a new one if different. Enjoy, John.

i must include the main-board-drivers now in the xp-pack ?

i can't just run them after installation... ?

(as far as i remember, on the first xp-installation on this PC, onley text mode driver embedded in the pack.

and in the end - i ran 'GIGABYTE Motherboard ver 1.1' and all dune )

should i include this also in the pack ?

20090226-ngv-70kb.jpg

Edited by aviv88

aviv88, sure, you can install the drivers after install. Do you still have the yellow device after installing drivers and restarting? Enjoy, John.

yes.

(and if i set on BIOS AHCImode - i get BSOD)

i install from this folder the setup.exe of MCP73

\GIGABYTE Motherboard ver 1.1\Chipset\IDE\MCP73

i think if i install ALL CD again - still i get yellow or blue screens.

this things needs fresh XP installation... at AHCI mode.

(not like my PC now - on IDE mode.)

Edited by aviv88