Creating workgroup name and inability of custom resolution sticking

videobruce

Under:

Unattended/Owner and Network ID/Workgroup I added a name, but it didn't stick. I have to go and re-add that ID for the Workgroup. In the past it has. I'm suspecting by disabling some services might of caused the problem. 

Under;

Unattended/Display/Screen Resolution, I have never been able to get this to stick. I have tried 1024x768 and 1280x1024 and all I get is the anchient 640x480 after the install. I always use the 'Classic' Default theme, Color scheme and Start Menu under Desktop themes if that matters.

Attached are the .ini files. 

What is the difference between the ini file with the date and the one without?? Also, of the two ' u.ini' files, one has "JoinWorkgroup" with the name I entered, the other is without.  :blink:

Edited by videobruce

videobruce, when strange symptoms like yours appear, it is usually because one of the basic rules has been violated. Please make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. I define a work group and have never had a problem with it. The only comment I can make about your .ini files is one is large with SP3 and the other small with SP0. Enjoy, John.

videobruce, I should have also said that my display resolution always works. On the Display tab of Unattended section, it says that for the resolution to take effect, the display drivers must be installed during installation. I have no suggestions for you. I hope you are using a virtual system, so you can run various configurations to isolate the problem. Please let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.

I never got resolution to work in unattended also. So i use reschange to change it (little dos based utility) with -force -quiet switch,and it works now. Download,or U can download new,windows based version at author's homepage http://www.12noon.com/displaychanger.htm

Ok I now read johnhc's post, so now i understand why it doesn't work. Although there ought to be a force switch or something....

Edited by Angelico_Payne

On the Display tab of Unattended section, it says that for the resolution to take effect, the display drivers must be installed during installation.
Never saw that 'catch'.  :no:

It shouldn't really matter since the default driver will allow resolutions over 1600x1200. You shouldn't need a specific driver (which I don't want to add since I wanted this to be a universal install CD).

I hope you are using a virtual system
No, never done this. I vagely remember reading about this, but never looked into it.

There is still the issue about the network name not sticking when it did before. Anyone else?

Edited by videobruce

videobruce,I suggest you look into VirtualBox, VirtualPC and VMware Server - all free. Also, try Fully Automated mode in Unattended-General tab. You can try to convince nuhi to make monitor resolution work with the default drivers. I am just pointing out what the text says. When you say network name, I assume you mean work group name. Please try with Fully Automated set and preferably in a virtual system and let us know what you learn. Remember to start with a fresh source and only one SP. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Please post the Last Session you run with after your experiment. John.

Edited by johnhc

You can try to convince nuhi to make monitor resolution work with the default drivers. I am just pointing out what the text says.
I understand there is alot to it, foor something as that to work. It would make more sense since it doesn't stick, just to remove the choice from the setup.
When you say network name, I assume you mean work group name.
Yes.
Please try with Fully Automated set
I have always used the default 'DefaultHide" mode and never had this issue. I assume it was one of the services I disabled since that was the only real change.

I wonder if sp3 might have someting to do with this since I only started using sp3?

Edited by videobruce