Help with BOOT.INI Adjustments, plz

wajed

This is my Boot.ini file:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noguiboot /bootlogo

This XP is installed on C

and I want Vista to be installed on (F:) -which when I try to install Vista appears to be (E:), there-

so, what values should I put in the Boot.ini adjustments?

Please take a look at my topic here, as it may give you some information that should be considered.

By the way, I`ve previously tried to put disk no. 0 and partition no. 3... but that didn`t work for sorrow (and I ruined my MBR, but thanx god I could fix it and lon on XP again)

Edited by wajed

Why isn`t anyone answering?

Because you posted in two places? :unsure:

I replied on your other thread.

In any case, please avoid putting pressure on members, the idea of a board is more or less:

1. someone asks a question
  2. someone else, WHEN he has time and IF he wishes to do so, tries and help the OP with his problem
  3. OP thanks people that tried helping him

There is an alternative, which involves the use of service of professionals and parting from some money. ;)

jaclaz

1st, I`m not posting 2 topics. Well, I am; but there is a difference between the two topics..

First is concerning my HDD and how to fix the lettering issue; and why I had 4 Partitions, while I only see 3. (Which, by the way, can help me solve the question in this topic posted right here)

Second topic is about a simple question on what values to use in that program; and since you may need some more information, and since I don`t know what information I should mention, I`ve put a link to the First topic, as it may complement the information mentioned in this one.

2nd, I`m not trying to put pressure, I was just wondering what makes no one answer this topic, so that I can do what can make my question "answerable". (maybe I didn`t provide enough information, or maybe I wasn`t clear when mentioning my problem, so on..)

By the way, Thank you for the information in the second topic. Gonna read your answer again, tomorrow.

Hmmm, :unsure:.

Your question in this thread seems a lot like referring to drive lettering as well.

Whilst the question you posted on the other thread makes a lot of sense :), this one completely fails to, :w00t: besides being in the "Install XP from USB" thread that appears fully unrelated.

BOOT.INI settings have nothing to do with drive letter assignment, and it is however fully and utterly irrelevant for Vista installs.

To any user with an average understanding of the NT/2K/XP/2003 and of the Vista/2008 (COMPLETELY different) boot process, your questions look a lot like:

How long should I cook eggs in order to adjust my car ignition?

Let's see if I can explain a bit the matter.

BOOT.INI settings are like a kind of "phone book" which lists, instead of phone number and addresses of people, the addresses where your installs(s) of NT, 2K, XP or Server 2003 are located.

Just as you do not move a friend's house by changing his address in your phone book ;), you do not move installs changing the BOOT.INI values.

Vista and server 2008 use a different kind of "boot phone book", the BCD store, but basically the working is the same, the file contains the addresses of where the installs were made.

In other words, settings in BOOT.INI and in BCD stores are the consequence of where you installed the Operating Systems, not the cause.

jaclaz

Oh Snap!

when I said "Boot.ini adjustments" I meant that section in the "WinSetupFromUSB" program called "boot.ini adjusments" !

but anyway, I just managed to install vista on E, and everything is fine now!

Sorry, I should have clarified that I was talking about "boot.ini adjustments" in the "winsetupfromusb" program.

and ur explanation was awesome, lol, I liked it.