MCE and XP

Hi

My grandad has a laptop with Windows Media Center (2005) but didn't have a reinstallation disk with it. I'm wondering if I use my Windows XP Home disk can I use his WMC COA. Losing MCE doesn't really matter, it does have a recovery partition and I will probably just restore it from that, but I'm just wondering about the XP thing for a fresh install.

No.

Each edition of Windows XP(Home/Pro)/MCE/TabletPC has a separate algorithm. Retail/OEM/(etc.) complicates it even more. Your key will only work on MCE2005.

Try ringing MS, tell them your problem, and probably for a nominal fee, will send you a replacement CD-set (2 with MCE/Tablet, variations of XP-Pro).

Greetings,

I have many many times reinstalled Windows XP (Home/Pro/Pro with MCE integrated) from an OEM install disc onto a "branded" system. I use a boot utility disc to create a single partition of all space on the hard drive and then install from a slipstreamed OEM disc. Make sure to have a flash drive or a CD with all of the XP drivers on it from the manufacturers web site for finishing up hardware set up. It's really easy if you don't want to reinstall MCE since MCE is just Windows XP Pro with more multimedia bells and whistles.

The only thing that you will need to do is telephone for activation because online activation will not work. When you call, the automated system will ask you if you've made any significant changes to your system such as a new hard drive or processor, say yes and the nice recorded voice will walk you through the steps to activate your system.

That's it, there's nothing more to it and then you'll have a clean install without all of the "added value" software that clogs so many of these branded systems. And the clean install of WIndows XP will be legal to use with your license/key.

Peace,

Gail

Edited by Anlace