Code vs Codebox

Yzöwl

Just a quick question, has there been some sort of update to the way that these things work?

The reason I ask is that I created a 'code' post more than 10 lines long with some long lines included. The usual method, (that which I've always used), to deal with this type of content is to use CODEBOX tags as opposed to CODE. This prevents line wrap and message area overflow.

However I've noticed recently that the individual message frame width has begun to extend beyond the page frame frame width when using this method of delivery. The idea should be that a horizontal scroll bar is added to the box which in turn prevents frame overspill and the line wrap I intended.

A Moderator rightly stepped in to fix the problem caused by the unrequired overspill, which as a result makes the page more readable but not the content of the box.

The odd thing is that when I previewed the latest related message prior to posting it, the scroll bars and frame widths were fine.

NOT what you asked, but just for the record:

CODE and CODEBOX "boxes" tend to behave strangely with different browsers/different versions of browsers.

I remember an not so old previous version of Opera that did exactly what you describe. :w00t:

OT, but related, there are known problems with copy and paste (different results using different browsers):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...24539&st=33

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=6492&st=10

It seems like it is a problem with the way data is "saved" to the clipboard:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=6492&st=15

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Although I was aware of them, thanks for your additional input jaclaz.

For me, the main reason I asked was because I haven't changed anything at all about the system I used. (Same Browser i.e. no updates etc., same Text Editor, same Forum Settings, same Manual Input i.e. everything is typed no use of buttons etc.).

Possibly worrying may be that if pages are displayed differently in the main browsers, are Moderators fixing pages according to their own setup and possibly not helping other Members by that action.

Still NOTHING like a possible answer, but it is also possible that an actual release of the board software may be (part of) the problem.

The CODEBOX parsing has a length limit, on 911CD I often need to split (very long) .inf iles into several different CODEBOXes, otherwise it won't simply work.

As well some years ago there was a problem with an unfortunately common enough character sequence, which I cannot remember right now, but that made posted .inf's non-valid.

Can you try re-posting here the particular contents of CODEBOX that gave you problems?

jaclaz

Well I'll give this a try, this post uses a direct Forum 'Copy and Paste' into NotePad++ with nmy hand edits:

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00A6FAF6-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\2.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe
O2 - BHO: MyWebSearch Search Assistant BHO - {00A6FAF1-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\2.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL
O2 - BHO: mwsBar BHO - {07B18EA1-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\2.bin\MWSBAR.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: My Web Search - {07B18EA9-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\2.bin\MWSBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Plugin] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\M3PLUGIN.DLL,UPF
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\mwsoemon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [My Web Search Bar Search Scope Monitor] "C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\m3SrchMn.exe" /m=2 /w
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Updates] c:\windows\system\Update.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [System Service Manager] sysmgr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\mwsoemon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows Updates] c:\windows\system\Update.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSFox] C:\DOCUME~1\Antonio\LOCALS~1\Temp\a.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://edits.mywebsearch.com/toolbaredits/menusearch.jhtml?p=ZCfox000
O23 - Service: My Web Search Service (MyWebSearchService) - MyWebSearch.com - C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\mwssvc.exe

This one uses the same method but uses the built-in Notepad:

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00A6FAF6-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\2.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL
O2 - BHO: MyWebSearch Search Assistant BHO - {00A6FAF1-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\2.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL
O2 - BHO: mwsBar BHO - {07B18EA1-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\2.bin\MWSBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: My Web Search - {07B18EA9-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\2.bin\MWSBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Plugin] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\M3PLUGIN.DLL,UPF
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\mwsoemon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [My Web Search Bar Search Scope Monitor] "C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\m3SrchMn.exe" /m=2 /w
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\mwsoemon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://edits.mywebsearch.com/toolbaredits/menusearch.jhtml?p=ZCfox000
O23 - Service: My Web Search Service (MyWebSearchService) - MyWebSearch.com - C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\mwssvc.exe

I can see both your posts as they should with Opera.

If I turn on the side panel (thus reducing available screen width for displaying the thread) BOTH boxes get the horizontal scrollbar.

Same happens with IE 6, BUT with it, only in the first of your two posts some words like:

• Email
  • Monitor
  • Windows

appear blue, double underlined and when I hover with the mouse over them an advertisement popup comes out. :angry:

That alone is a reason for using Opera, but besides this obvious fact, definitely there are difference in the way clipboard data is managed by different apps AND codebox parsing is done with different browsers.

But still that wouldn't explain the "missing" horizontal scrollbar. :unsure:

A glitch in the matrix? :w00t:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Using my usual Gecko based browser the posts above look like this:

Viewing_in_Gecko.jpg

However using IE7 the Forum looks like this:

Viewing_in_IE7.jpg

Making the post from IE7, since the text editor appears to not be the problem:

And here quickly is the view from Opera and its accompanying codebox paste:

viewing_in_Opera.jpg

Sorry about the multiposts, obviously in this case it was necessary to try to highlight possible differences.

In this case only IE7 viewed it incorrectly, as you can see it still shows the scroll bar, but the message frame still overspills the page frame!

Unfortunatley I've failed to tie down how my post was rendered on the Forum incorrectly, possible it was a one off I don't know!

The monitor in blue, is part of an inline advert which I must have allowed accidentally by not accepting a cookie, since I have IE ask for each one individually.

I've got to say that using IE on these Forums appears to be a bad idea based on the above alone!

I've got to say that using IE on these Forums appears to be a bad idea based on the above alone!

Which of course I could "revert" asking you on what :w00t: sites/forums you think using IE7 IE, any version, is a good idea? ;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

In this case only IE7 viewed it incorrectly, as you can see it still shows the scroll bar, but the message frame still overspills the page frame!

Unfortunatley I've failed to tie down how my post was rendered on the Forum incorrectly, possible it was a one off I don't know!

Which of course I could "revert" asking you on what :w00t: sites/forums you think using IE7 IE, any version, is a good idea? ;)

jaclaz

It's a well-known CSS layout issue, and it's not IE specific (for those of you who heap coals on IE, rightly or wrongly, should not do so in this case). Since the section of the CSS on table layout in this specific area isn't exactly documented on how to properly do the overflow, IE does it.... well, the layout is bad. Note, however, that Firefox (at least 3.0.6) also does *exactly* this, so it's not "wrong", it's just ugly. And unfortunately, it's perfectly within the CSS 2 spec - we won't go into whether or not it should be done one way over another, because it's obvious which is better - but, unfortunately, being spec compliant isn't enough, because the **** specs aren't very clear.

Anyway, it repros with IE8, Google Chrome, Safari, and FF 3.1.x too, so this is just a case where IE and FF handle a CSS element in a way Opera does not. So because Opera decided to implement the CSS spec differently than IE *and* pretty much every other browser than Opera, does that mean that using "FF3, FF, any version, is a good idea?" I can be snarky too. :hello:

Edited by cluberti
Spam's browsershot pics are priceless

@cluberti

I wasn't meaning that IE (any version) or IE7 are worse than Opera or that Opera is better than any other browser around, in the sense that they are worse or better written or worse or better complying to CSS standard. :ph34r:

I was saying that with Opera:

• I see the board's CODEBOX "properly"
  • I can copy and paste their contents "correctly"
  • I don't have "keywords" blue, double underlined and popping up ads

This happens, besides MSFN, on boot-land and 911CD, and all the other main sites/forums I usually browse on.

jaclaz