Activation Key won't work

forkprong

The main problem is that my activation key doesn't work. Here are the details I use.

I'm using the CDs that came with my HP Pavilion (8 in total)

I'm using nLite 1.4.9.1 on a WinXP SP3 system.

I copied the contents of all 8 CDs to one folder on my hard drive.

I copied the contents of that folder to another so I won't have to keep copying them from the CDs if my remaster fails.

I did a slipstream of SP3 and it failed at the activation key point (I copied it to the correct part in nLite so I wouldn't have to enter it myself).

After that I tried SP2 because I figured it may be an SP3 thing but an SP2 slipstream failed at the key check, too.

I recently copied the $winnt$.inf file from C:\WINDOWS\system32 to the C:\XP-remaster\i386\system32 folder (my 'working' folder) but I didn't have the opportunity to check if it worked yet.

Also, is there a way to make the installer stop complaining if a file is missing if I got rid of the components they belong to in nLite. It is hardly an 'unattended' install if I have to stay there most of the time holding the ESC key down.

Any help is appreciated. I'm including my Last_Session.ini from the time I tried remastering the SP2 version

LAST_SESSION.INI

Hi Forkprong,

Most of your questions have been answered numerous times. :whistle::D

The key you are using is probably not working before modification with nLite, it won't work after nLite, it is not an nLite problem nor an "SP3 slipstream" problem. You need to use the same key as your HP disc uses when it auto fills (unattended) the key field. Not the key that's on your sticker. Find that key in the answer file on the CDs. This way you'll also benefit from the "preactivation" feature this key provides (using some files from the cd and a match check with the machine's Bios)

An other case is people using "public" keys that are blacklisted by either SP2 or SP3 but I don't think this is your case.

The missing files are reported because the source has probably been modified before slipstreaming the Service Pack, and the SP assumes and makes them listed as "present" when they are not. Either you used nLite at least once before slipstreaming the SP and you need not to, or you need an other (complete) source.

Cheers.

forkprong, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. I am rally curious about the 8 CDs and what they are/contain - why so many? Are they recovery CDs? If so, some have reported that recovery CDs don't work with nLite - you should search on 'recovery CD'. Please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer window of your unmodified source folder. Enjoy, John.

Hi Forkprong,

Most of your questions have been answered numerous times. :whistle::D

It was more economical time-wise to just ask myself. Besides, many of the answers did not match my problem or were posted long enough for me to be unsure of their accuracy.

The key you are using is probably not working before modification with nLite, it won't work after nLite, it is not an nLite problem nor an "SP3 slipstream" problem. You need to use the same key as your HP disc uses when it auto fills (unattended) the key field. Not the key that's on your sticker. Find that key in the answer file on the CDs. This way you'll also benefit from the "preactivation" feature this key provides (using some files from the cd and a match check with the machine's Bios)

An other case is people using "public" keys that are blacklisted by either SP2 or SP3 but I don't think this is your case.

Key is valid. It was recovered from my current XP installation created by my recovery CDs using RockXP and verified with Magic Jellybean and WinkeyFinder. I do not have any keys on any stickers but I do want to know about this answer file. What/where is it?

I do not believe its an nLite error and since it also failed in the same way with an SP2 slipstream I made, I do not think it is related to slipstreaming, SP3 or otherwise.

The missing files are reported because the source has probably been modified before slipstreaming the Service Pack, and the SP assumes and makes them listed as "present" when they are not. Either you used nLite at least once before slipstreaming the SP and you need not to, or you need an other (complete) source.

Cheers.

The source was not modified before slipstreaming as far as I know. I copied the contents from all 8 CDs into one folder and left it untouched. The only thing I do with those files is copy them to another folder where I work on them with nLite.

This is the Home Edition of XP and not Professional. That may be the reason why some files were missing. I'm not sure.

I slipstream, then remove components and do the tweaks that nLite lets me do afterwards. After I'm done, I apply the changes and then create an ISO. All in one session.

forkprong, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini.

I did in my first post but I'll post it again. I'll send my most recent failure's file.

Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP.

I follow that exact procedure every time. Still, my key is invalid.

I am rally curious about the 8 CDs and what they are/contain - why so many? Are they recovery CDs? If so, some have reported that recovery CDs don't work with nLite - you should search on 'recovery CD'. Please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer window of your unmodified source folder. Enjoy, John.

Yes, they are my recovery CDs. It wouldn't surprise me if they were the culprit but they DO manage to install my system correctly even now. They themselves do not produce an error. Key works every time. Which is why I'm wondering why it doesn't work with nLite.

There are 8 installation CDs (and one Recovery Tools CD but that one is not essential) mostly because of bloatware: Norton this, McAffee that, MS Office and so forth. Plus HP likes to include it's own software for printers and God knows what else.

Altogether, the files from just the 8 recovery CDs takes up 4.23 GB. That's just incredible. I can't wait to be able to use one frigging CD. Most of it is in the PRELOAD directory.

Plus, every recovery completely erases my hard drive and I lose everything on it. I can't create and choose partitions to install to. It's all or nothing.

I'll also include the screenshot of my source folder as you asked.

LAST_SESSION.INI

post-120442-1231643081_thumb.jpg

forkprong, I do remember seeing your Last Session before and wondering what Unattended mode you are using, since none shows in your Last Session. What Unattended mode have you specified? Try Fully Automatic if you have not tried it. Enjoy, John.

• 2 weeks later...
forkprong, I do remember seeing your Last Session before and wondering what Unattended mode you are using, since none shows in your Last Session. What Unattended mode have you specified? Try Fully Automatic if you have not tried it. Enjoy, John.

I believe it was 'Hide Pages' (I left it at the default). I even tried the activation code on the side of my desktop with no change in the result. I'll try Fully Automatic using both codes.

• 2 weeks later...