Format a partition?

Messerschmitt

So it seems that thru the windows XP CD you can only format C drive where you install the O/S.

So can you only format the other drivers by using win XP and click right and hit format? I did not seen any option to format when installing the OS.

I don't want to use any third party programs to do the formats.

And if it's true that you have to format from windows intself, why are there different options when you right click and hit format in explorer, and go to Admin tools - Computer Management - Disk Management.

Also what Allocation Unit Size you should select (default or 4096 or a different number).

What is the difference to make the other partitions primary or extended?

Should I enable Compression option when formating?

And if it's true that you have to format from windows intself, why are there different options when you right click and hit format in explorer, and go to Admin tools - Computer Management - Disk Management.

Creating a partition and formatting it is not the same. In explorer, you can only format a partition that is already formatted and has a drive letter associated (not the System drive obviously). In Disk Management, you can partition and format.

During Windows XP setup you can create as many partitions as the os will allow, but you can only format the partition you are installing the OS on. If you want to format the other partitions you can do it during the t-13 phase of setup witha command script, or use Windows PE to create and format all of your partitions before beginning any other portion of setup.

Also what Allocation Unit Size you should select (default or 4096 or a different number).

What is the difference to make the other partitions primary or extended?

Should I enable Compression option when formating?

Default is the best option as u increase the allocation size results in less space u get to store date.

Primary partition is the partition in which windows boot related files stored no matter in which drive u installed your OS. Boot files stored in Primary partition that is C drive also this partition is active partition and partitions created next to is called extended partition. Windows XP & Vista supports four Primary Partition Only thing that matter which partition is set active.

Enabling Compression during formating is not recommended as this can save space but degrades file read write performance.

Hi and thanks.

So for my second HDD I have (a 500GB seagate) should I format it as Primary or Extended? I have my 640GB Western Digital set with C & D, D being extended.

I also guess I will just use windows disk management. I mean in the end creating a partition and format it it's the same thing, no matter what path you choose right?

Edited by Messerschmitt

It depends upon how you want your partitions to be organized.

This will probably not be entirely accurate but it should be close, can't fin the link at the moment.

Starting with disk 0, each Primary partition will recieve a drive letter in order, then each the next disk and it's primary partitions, until the last disk is lettered. The the sam process will occur with the extended partitions. Obviously you can re-arrange the drive letters to your preference afterwards.

I would like to keep my Western Digital HDD as it is now with C and D, and this seagate HDD which I have to create the partition and format to remain as E.

I tried both primary and extended (and then make it a logical drive) and I can select the next available letter, which is E. Now the only question is which is more advantageous to choose from, aside that from what it looks you loose an extra 8mb if you choose extended (8 for extended and then 8 more when set it as a logical drive)

Edited by Messerschmitt

Its always better to create Primary partition on Newer & Larger HDD as they are more fast and reliable than the old one helps in Your OS run fine,quick & stable. And one more thing when u create a partition on HDD. The partition next to primary called logical acc. to win98 definition. You can also create dynamic disk if you like.

Messerschmitt, your D drive remains D because the Windows system from which you're looking at it is already installed when you add the new HDD. If you boot from a Live CD for instance, or if you reinstall Windows, then comes IcemanND's "law" :D ; depending wether the partition on the 2nd HD is primary or extended, it will be D or E and the extended in the 1st drive will be E or D. I hope it make sense. For the rest, as you present it, there will be no difference. I'd make it a primary.

I mean in the end creating a partition and format it it's the same thing, no matter what path you choose right?

Of course you end up with a formatted partition but they are two different steps.

Because XP asks you if you want to format the partition after you've created it doesn't mean creating it and formatting is "the same thing".

Its always better to create Primary partition on Newer & Larger HDD as they are more fast and reliable than the old one helps in Your OS run fine,quick & stable.

Both HDD are approximately the same size and probably same speed, so this do not matter here.