ffdshow rev2352 for Win98/ME installation failure

oc_dt

This rev2352 is the last version for Win98/ME. I failed the installation with the following message:

ffdshow.ax

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: Loadlibrary failed; code 31.

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway (not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation.

I have aborted the installation and rolled back to the ffdshow version of klmcode345.

Any help is appreciated...

Edited by oc_dt

• 1 month later...

Registered just to say think you rainyd. Stuck with win98 I've been struggling with video files that won't run for awhile now. The latest frusteration, some Bleach episodes I couldn't watch past a certain point because the latter AVI's used a different format.

Putting in the error message I was getting from 2352 verbatum along with win98 & codec got me this thread (lots of searching went before then) And now thanks to 2322 I can watch those videos.

*editing in*

Theres a problem though, I can watch the video, but its grainy (the older format looked better, being exactly the same file size) and lags every 30 seconds or so. (video stops moving)

What can I do to fix this?

Edited by TruePurple

Windows media player, Realplayer, Media player classic, Ace DivX Player, VLC media player (tries to think if left any software video player out)

I have downloaded a number of players in my quest to get certain video files to work, and all of them lag when running the video files I couldn't play at all before I installed 2322. And by lag i mean the video stops playing often, and for usually at least a few second if not longer each time, skipping ahead when it starts playing again. Audio does not skip. At that rate it barely deserves to be called animation, not to mention I miss out on alot of translation.

Edited by TruePurple

Whats so special about

"Wmp10/11 with Mdgx's updates in Auto-Patcher Dec'08" that it would work when none of the other players worked?

Also your going to need to specify that a bit more. I assume wmp is windows media player, but beyond that I don't know. BTW my version is 9. I thought I remember not being ale to find higher versions compatable with win98.

As far as linux goes. Maybe once I get a CD burner I could burn a copy of linux and experiment with it. I'm not sure I want to risk it otherwise, my HDD is enough of a mess as it is.

Are you using Auto-Patcher Dec2008?It will install updates for WMP9( and WMP10/11 if Memory Ram is 192mb,cpu=233mhz :at least) <WMP=WindowsMediaPlayer>*Auto-Patcher98 is found in MSFN Forum :thumbup TRY Mdgx's Updates as they may be easier to download !

Edited by thydreamwalker

TruePurple, what is your hardware spec (CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.)

Could you be more specific about that/those video/videos? What codec it/they use, what is video format (if you don't know try GSpot or MediaInfo).

Do you have similar problem/s with other videos/clips?

Btw, RealPlayer is a real junk - I recommend you uninstalling it.

756mb of ram, but my system only sees 384 under win98 for some reason. Amd athlon 750. Radeon 8500 with 64mb(unless its 32? I'm pretty sure its 64) MoBo is a gigabyte GA-71XE.

I had downloaded a program to check what file version it is, but I forget the programs name/where it is in my system. Just that it said I needed the h 264 codec, I think it said the file was a mpeg4. But I thought all mpegs had that file extension, not AVI.

I don't have any problem at all with any other video file (well some trouble of the same kind with certain video streamers, but maybe those were of the same file type) I've played bleach episodes that looked much better perfectly fine, in full screen even, up to this point(over 60 such files I've downloaded and watched perfectly fine, well maybe the rare glitch)

It seems clear to me its not the media player or lack of resources thats causing the skipping and such, but poor execution of the codex. I think I need a better codex, but what? It was hard enough to find a codex that allowed me to play such files at all.

I must get going for now though.

Edited by TruePurple

:whistle: 98Se only sees one core if you are running "Dual-core" system?

Core? You mean CPU? I'm talking about RAM there. I did specify that.

@rainyd

Is there a way to convert the video to a different type?

Edited by TruePurple

Ok it was Gspot I was using, with the video test thing on the left side its giving me some kind of error. But its a really long error message about "failure to connect output pin..." etc. Rather then sitting with two windows typing it all out, is there a way to export the message so I can cut and paste?