WPI Classc for Legacy OS'es!

Change the line at the upper section of wpi.hta to this = BORDER="yes" (line 22) and you will then have a standard window border for moving the wpi interface around.

Yes the syntax in the bat file works fine I have tested it several times.

Thank you for your assistance!

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

EDIT:

@ jaclaz: I've been following the Win95cmd topic at an earlier time but found no verdict on usability, integration, etc. The discussion has apparently been suspended.

Do you need a verdict? :w00t:

I cannot say if I can give one :unsure:, AFAIK it works nicely, of course it is NOT 100% compatible with "real" NT cmd.exe, but it is mostly.

But there are workarounds possible for most of the "differences":

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&...&q=win95cmd

Example, nesting FOR loops:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.msdos.b...&q=win95cmd

In other words, do not expect to run "ANY" NT .cmd with win95cmd.exe, but most will do, and those that do not can be relatively easily fixed, whilst when using "standard" command.com you simply miss alltogether some features (SET /A, just to make an example).

jaclaz

P.S.:@Kelsenellenelvian

Sorry for the OT/thread hijacking :blushing:

Edited by jaclaz

@ Kelsenellenelvian: thank you for the Border hint; maybe it could be added as an option (checkbox)? :whistle:

@ jaclaz: workarounds may do for advanced users but the others would find it hard to manage. Until a complete solution is found (if ever), I believe it's best not to rely on that module in such major projects. Hopefully we close the off-topic now before we get beaten with a broomstick. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! :thumbup

A few WPI-noob notes if I may:

- Browse buttons would be welcome wherever a file path is required

(especially when operated in single-monitor no-border mode).

- The Save, Read, Add buttons in Config are cut off at the top when window is not maximized.

- The tooltip for Begin Install appears behind the Selections dropdown list.

- Click Config, Options or About, then click the same button: it will run the script anew, complete with timer, as if it were just started. :blink:

- Looking at the fields in Config, one doesn't really know what to type in there. Descriptive tooltips for each option would be warmly welcome. ;)

- In About > Links it may be best to link directly to this thread; currently both links are broken

(they return -Embedding) and context menu is disabled so we can't copy/paste the links or e-mails

(anyone could easily navigate away from this thread if it were directly linked to, but finding it would be much harder).

Keep up the good work! :thumbup

Edited by Drugwash

The Save, Read, Add buttons in Config are cut off at the top when window is not maximized.

They are supposed to be at the bottom right area, you have an error somewhere.

The tooltip for Begin Install appears behind the Selections dropdown list.

Known bug, will just remove the tooltip.

Click Config, Options or About, then click the same button: it will run the script anew, complete with timer, as if it were just started.

Yup we worked hard to get them all to do it. Its just like exiting from the screen.

In About > Links it may be best to link directly to this thread; currently both links are broken

:o OMG I WILL fix that right away...

Thanks for your informative (and very usefull) post.

EDIT! Hmmmm seems to me you have a couple of problems I don't have over here. Tooltip WAS fixed and shows right here. All links work.

What version of IE are you using? Screenshots? Please dl a new copy and replace ALL files except for your config.js. Then try again.

P.S. Here is how the config wizard looks properly:

screen3.gif

They are supposed to be at the bottom right area, you have an error somewhere.

Here's what I meant in regard to those 3 buttons:

wpiminju0.th.png

Known bug, will just remove the tooltip.
Why not just increase the spacing between Begin Install and Selections, since the former is the most important of them anyway? ;) Here's how it looks like:

wpitooltipvy6.th.png

Yup we worked hard to get them all to do it. Its just like exiting from the screen.
Doesn't seem very logical to me. :blushing: Would you consider implementing a breadcrumbs system instead?

Main Page > Options ( Main Page > Config ), similar to many forum boards, for example (see the top of this page).

Oh and I just noticed your edit. I got IE6-SP1 and using SlimBrowser based on IE engine. It may be a problem with links in .hta files (haven't used any before). Any particular file versions you wanna know? I never kept a list of updates, always installed/uninstalled (un)official updates on a whim so there may be some incompatibility somewhere. I remember I've got same issue with -Embedded before, long time ago, but can't remember which application was it. :unsure:

I'll download WPI again and see if there's any change.

[EDIT] Downloaded again and all files are identical. Did you change anything in the WPI Classic package earlier?

Oh and I just ran WPI.bat now (haven't done it previously) and got Syntax error, Out of environment space, Bad command or file name. Regedit couldn't import WPI.reg (probably couldn't find the path due to DOS error). :(

[EDIT 2] WPI.reg contains a bad path. It should be:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]

Also you need to save it as ANSI (currently it's Unicode) and also add a new line at the end of the file. After these changes it will import succesfully (manually, at least).

Edited by Drugwash

Found and fixed the spacing\area issue with the config buttons. (Thanks for the pic it helped.)

Edit: Fixed the reg issue..

Edit2: WIll release a new version tommorow.

Edits further: Fixed the bat file up some. Added a bunch of langs (Stasys44) more updates. will be out in the next couple of hours.

Posted here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46581

WPI:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128002

New release:

* Windows Post-Install Wizard (WPI) 1.2.1 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME:

http://www.wpiw.net/Classic/

More info:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128002

Requires MS IE 6.0 or 6.0 SP1 already installed:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#IEX

HTH

Tested v1.2.1:

• Buttons are fixed (could be couple pixels lower but they're not cut anymore, anyway).

• Links still point to -Embedded and on clicking again the app freezes and has to be killed.

• The .reg is not there anymore (probably unneeded?).

• There's mention of %~dp0 and wpipath in WPI.bat without those variables being used further on.

• The actual startup of WPI is calling the WPI folder whereas the Classic version comes within the WPI_Classic folder. Should this version's folder be named WPIC?

• To automatically exit a batch file in Win9x, it requires a CLS command before EXIT.

The end of the .bat might have to look like this:

REM Start WPI and wait for its end

start /wait %wpipath%\WPIC\WPI.hta

cls

exit

CLS = clear screen; it clears the command-line interface, which is necessary for it to automatically close under Win9x under normal circumstances.

%~dp0 doesn't work on Win9x; it's part of the command line extensions of the NT line.

Queue