Exit issue with eMule 0.49b and Win 98SE

dencorso

I use Win 98SE with 98SE2ME and fully up-to-date.

I never had any issue with versions 0.47 and 0.48 of eMule.

Neither have I ever had any issue with version 0.49a.

I updated to 0.49b two days ago and it kept crashing, more often than not.

When I attempted to exit eMule, sometimes it worked, after a small delay, sometimes it froze windows, requiring a reboot, and sometimes it just caused a reboot right away. :wacko:

For now I've gone back to version 0.49a and all seems to be OK again.

Has any of you experienced any issues with 0.49b?

Edited by dencorso

When I attempted to exit eMule, sometimes it worked, after a small delay, sometimes it froze windows, requiring a reboot, and sometimes it just caused a reboot right away. :wacko:

I have not experienced this problem with v0.49b under nearly-pure Win98SE.

I had uninstalled v0.49a before running the 0.49b installer package. Uninstall deleted all old files, including those in \config\. v0.49b installed a lot of dead servers, my preferred list is at http://www.emule-mods.de/?servermet=show

I would check out/try the following:

1) maybe bad servers/hostile download sources, since the exit problem seems to occur randomly

- does the exiting problem also occur when you start eMule with an empty Temp directory?

- does the problem occur when you are not connected to a server, just to KAD?

- re-connect the DSL/cable modem to get a new IP

2) problems caused by the firewall - does the exit problem also occur when the firewall is off?

3) hardware problems, since the exit problem seems to occur randomly

- does the exit problem also occur when v0.49b is run on another computer?

4) Win98SE2ME and the updates, which are probably not part of the testing environment of the eMule developers

5) many eMule problems seem to be memory-related or arise when eMule is run together with other programs.

Does the exit problem also occur when no other application is running? (anything unnecessary at Win98 startup?)

eMule under Win98, for example, gets along well with Opera, but crashes quickly after running Firefox

6) change the TCP/UDP port numbers, in case the internet service provider is doing something fancy

7) run ScanDisk or NDD

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay before giving you an update on the situation, Multibooter! :blushing:

You're right, of course! eMule 0.49b works flawlessly in my system too, now.

I was unable to identify the origin of the issue I described, but then I fell back to a week older backup image of

the system partition and reinstalled 0.49b in place of the 0.49a present in the backup and all is well.

Thank you for the swift reply. You do rock! :thumbup

Edited by dencorso

I've been getting such crashes myself. The solution found was to disconnect my PPPoE connection prior to closing eMule and everything would go smooth. Before that, I used to use Sysinternals' TCPView to batch kill connections prior to closing eMule and that solution worked as well (I believe I already mentioned it around).

Recently I bought myself a router and can't disable the connection anymore, but eMule's been good and didn't crash anymore - at least not on its fault. Other applications have crashed my system though and forced a reboot.

I believe the crashes being related to the number of simultaneous downloads, since closing eMule while there's few or no current downloads will not result in a crash.

Let's see how the upcoming version behaves, should be out any day now.

Edited by Drugwash