Is there a fix for the slow Win XP and Win 98 networking?

Jonny K

The network speed between Windows 98 and Windows XP is horridly slow (even with fresh installs of both OS's). I have contacted many people about this, and have found that many other people have the same trouble.

Is there a fix yet? Everywhere I ask, nobody knows a solution yet.

Jonny K.

• 2 months later...

I have XP and 98 SE on my 2 comps. I had the probs and im still waiting for a patch to fix some other things... My suggestion is that you reinstall the cards, simple but effective.

I can't remember exactly where I read this - or exactly how to get into the right part of XP to fix it. Not much help huh. But I recall reading about XP-->98 networking getting real slow because of lots of network overhead caused by XP. It seems that when connected to 98 - XP is continuously accessing the network (when a drive is mapped to the 98 system). Somehow, you can disable this. Now, I think I read it in Scot Finnie's newsletter. Try browsing around at:

http://www.scotfinnie.com

LS

I'm also getting the same problem, slow to browse Win98 shares in My Network Places from the XP Machine. Told my mate to bugger off with win98 and put 2k or XP on it, yet he still uses it. doh.

I had this problem before, that i couldnt connect to a ME machine and it also went very slow when i got it to connect. Finally I discovered that it was the firewall holin me back, try disabling firewalls on both machines.