SP3 breaking Microsoft updates

rodommoc

SP3 has been out for a while and there have been numerous updates since Sp3 came out.

I have some Fuji Lifebooks that I have a factory image for and when I image them and after I install SP3 it shows only 3 critical, 2 optional and 1 hardware update.

IE7 is not installed and it is not in Microsoft updates to be installed. the last time I tried this I went to Microsoft.com and manually installed IE7 then ran updates and ther still were no updates listed.

Has anyone else seen this?

I realize they switch priority to Vista but why would IE7 not be listed in updates after SP3 is installed?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

Strange! I used the same ghost image and used Microsoft update version of SP3 instead of the IT Full File version I downloaded before and after installing it I ran updates and there were over 100 updates including Ie7.

I'm gonna keep testing.

if you have more than 100 updates, SP3 is NOT installed or slipstreamed correctly! When did you download the SP3? The early versions didn't install 100% correctly, perhaps downloading it again will help.

I guess it depends. But I notice something that has been reported that I find true:

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/081204#story1

Microsoft Update hasn't ever offered me .NET 3.5 SP1, and it came out after Windows XP SP3 did. So I do have to wonder if there is a problem somewhere. As the article describes, SP2 is just fine regarding offering .NET and related patches but SP3 is not fine in this regard. I have to wonder what else isn't working right? Like IE7?

that article is a bit misleading, no? pardon me while I veer off topic and question the article

Xp ships with 1.0 which does not show up in the control panel. (except for compact 1.0 sp3)

and I install 1.1

KB928366

and .NET3.5

from cmdlines.txt with a 'net stop msiserver' between because 1.1 likes to bogart the installer service for minutes after it has finished. Other than having to manually kill the install service its all clean.

@An3k in thinking that its an install or package issue, I would certainly jump on board except I recently had an issue with the SQL Server 2005 hotfix M$ published and the registry entries I had to remove to get success did not inhibit the load in SP2.

that article is a bit misleading, no? pardon me while I veer off topic and question the article

Xp ships with 1.0 which does not show up in the control panel. (except for compact 1.0 sp3)

and I install 1.1

KB928366

and .NET3.5

from cmdlines.txt with a 'net stop msiserver' between because 1.1 likes to bogart the installer service for minutes after it has finished. Other than having to manually kill the install service its all clean.

Did you tried the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 - Redistributable Package which is only linked from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...d7#Instructions? With this package you don't need to install anything before except SP3.
@An3k in thinking that its an install or package issue, I would certainly jump on board except I recently had an issue with the SQL Server 2005 hotfix M$ published and the registry entries I had to remove to get success did not inhibit the load in SP2.
I doesn't mean other patches, i mean SP3 itself! If you've installed one of the buggy versions everything looks fine but the information that sp3 is installed does not arrived windows itself so you were able to install it again and again and again and ... Now, with the working releases you get informed that you already have the latest sp installed and setup quits.

If now windows does not know about sp3 updates (or some) won't do too. Then perfectly working hotfixes/updates/etc. overwrites newer files or registry hives of sp3.

i also had issues while i used one of the buggy versions but redownloading the sp3 solved this issue. i compared both files (early buggy and late working sp3) and some files were changed, i didnt followed the path since the new sp3 was working perfectly.

Edited by an3k

Maybe that was too many things in one breath.

I absolutely agree the symptoms are that of a corrupt package, all day.

I just believe there are some fantastic flaws in SP3 that are surfacing as many posters are getting similar errors from very different variables.

----------------------

"With this package you don't need to install anything before except SP3."

What magical things are you doing in Munchen with the 2.8mb SP1 download that doesnt require any of the existing baselines? :P

if you have more than 100 updates, SP3 is NOT installed or slipstreamed correctly! When did you download the SP3? The early versions didn't install 100% correctly, perhaps downloading it again will help.

First I ghosted the laptop with a fresh factory image of XPsp2 then ran the full-file version of SP3 (I downloaded this when it first came out). It showed only a few updates and no IE7. Then I ran Microsoft updates after installing IE7 and it still showed no updates. I know there are atleast IE7 updates it should have found.

Then I reghosted with the same factory image and ran Microsoft updates installed SP3 from Microsoft updates, rebooted and ran updates again and that is when it found a ton of updates including Ie7. It installed the updates. I ran Micorosft updates again and it found the IE7 updates I was looking for in the first place.

That is what I was talking about.

Has anyone seen this? Is there a new version of SP3 to download?

Thanks

Mark

and I install 1.1

KB928366

and .net 3.5.

I have apps that still require .net 1.1. That and subsequently the security fix are not in the redistro for 3.5. If you can point me towards a package that combines the lot than Im going to stray off topic with europeans more often.

As for the OP

First I ghosted the laptop with a fresh factory image

I dont really understand that sentence. Did you ghost it or did you load a fresh factory image?

Hi,

without guarantee you may try this:

net.exe stop wuauserv
regsvr32.exe /u /s wuaueng.dll

rd /s /q %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
del %Systemroot%\windowsupdate.log

if exist %systemroot%\system32\msxml.dll regsvr32.exe /s msxml.dll
if exist %systemroot%\system32\msxml2.dll regsvr32.exe /s msxml2.dll
if exist %systemroot%\system32\msxml3.dll regsvr32.exe /s msxml3.dll
if exist %systemroot%\system32\msxml4.dll regsvr32.exe /s msxml4.dll
if exist %systemroot%\system32\msxml5.dll regsvr32.exe /s msxml6.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng.dll

net.exe start wuauserv
wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

Regards, Nils.

So a ghosted factory image makes sense to me

sure, but then does that not make the question (and hopefully not too cynical).

"Have you ever ghosted a box and its been all jacked up, then reghosted it and it was fine?"