Multiple questions on customizing an SP1 pre-integrated Vista DVD

OK

Got several queries from my recent involvement with VL 1.2 final. The OS in question I am trying to tailor to my needs is my authentic Vista RTM (from MSDN) with SP1 already pre-integrated. I would really appreciate *any* input from anyone who is confident of providing a correct answer to any of my queries below. Here it goes then:

1) KB929777 - This was so much debatable across the entire forum. I now got 4gb of RAM ready to be installed so my question is, will I need to do anything (since SP1 is pre-integrated to my version of Vista). I presume I won't have to integrade KB929777 hf again - right? Would I have to check the 'fix 4GB' checkbox in VL? I am confused of this really - is it fix included in SP1 or not?

2) Although my Vista version mentions that only SP1 is integrated, when I downloaded all post-SP1 hotfixes, there was a considerable number yellow-highlighted by Vlite. Why they're seen as duplicates? My copy is genuine, so how on earth those post-SP1 hotfixes supposively already exist? Would it cause any issues if I was to ignore the yellows and re-integrade them again?

3) Amongst the updates/hotfixes reported as beeing post-SP1 are the following two:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsu...agent30-x86.exe

and

Windows6.0-KB942567-x86.msu

Correct me if I am wrong - those two are not included in SP1, right? If yes, how can I integrade them? As for KB942567 - I just know it exists, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the Microsoft download site. Any ideas where could it be? Was it pulled back for any reason? I found this:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/osv025ww.exe

It is said that this also includes KB942567, but I can't integrade it since it is not in .msu format.

4) From what I ve read around here, I decided to set DEP (Data Execution Prevention) = Enabled only for OS components (Optin). Any ideas of why I should/shouldn't enable/disable it otherwise?

5) Last, but not less important - "skip user creation". I am not planning to use any other account over than Administrator (also mentioned GOD in other threads!). So I would like to skip user creation, but... will it work: http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t98673.html

IsLNdbOi reports at the bottom of the page:

"I finally figured out why it wasn't working. Apparently, you have to put something in the "Full Name" field opposite of the "Skip user creation" check box. If you leave the "Full Name" field blank, you won't get just the "GOD account"."

That topic on the issue was well over a year ago, on an outdated version of vlite. My question here is do I still have to enter something in the Full Name field (as IsLNdbOi suggests) in order to skip user creation and create a sole pure Admin account. Is it fixed in v1.2 final or do I still have to enter something in that field? Anyone tried it?

6) What's with the compatibility window in the component section i.e. IE, Aero, Xnview support? In contrast to the way vlite works - I would actually have to check these items in order to keep them. Why? Would they be removed otherwise?!

Any help with any of these will bring a smile to my face.

Regards

Ian

Edited by logged

OK ... maybe I asked for too much.

Can anyone at least post their thoughts on (5).

Do I have to enter something in the "Full Name" field in order for "skip user creation" to actually work (and only have a single Admin /'God' account). Has this been fixed in v1.2 final?

As I would really like a response from someone that might have tried this - a single 'yes' or 'no' will do me.

OK ... maybe I asked for too much.

Can anyone at least post their thoughts on (5).

Do I have to enter something in the "Full Name" field in order for "skip user creation" to actually work (and only have a single Admin /'God' account). Has this been fixed in v1.2 final?

As I would really like a response from someone that might have tried this - a single 'yes' or 'no' will do me.

As I didn't play with vLite much, I can only put my thought about question no 6: If you select an application/feature from Compatibility window, vLite will hide that options in components removal list, so you won't accidently removed anything needed to run the feature/application successfully.

• 1 month later...
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/osv025ww.exe

It is said that this also includes KB942567, but I can't integrade it since it is not in .msu format

They're the only OEM so far that has been offering the Feature Pack for Wireless for download from their website.

If you extract osv025ww.exe with 7zip or similar, you get the two updates.

Windows6.0-KB942567-x86.msu

Windows6.0-KB942567-x64.msu

Cheers

DEP additionally checks computer memory from running malicious codes. It is beneficial but Always on is not recommended as many applications malfunctions so it always better to set if for OPTIN. You can integrate yellow updates without fear. 4 gb fix already included in SP1 as i m using 8 GB Ram But actually vista can access only 3GB Ram. Acc. to my experience you can,t change administrator with something other name.