Smallest IP target device

tain

I'm interested in getting the smallest target device (keyfob?) for network connectivity testing. All it should do is plug into an RJ-45 port and respond to pings. Static vs DHCP option would be interesting.

it really depends what you're looking for, how much work you're willing to do, and how much you're willing to spend.

Cheap & "lots" of work? There are free TCP/IP stacks for several dirt cheap MCUs. A cheap MCU and an ethernet module should run you around $20 total (probably even less if you're willing to build the module yourself from a generic realtek chip).

Cheap and less work? You can buy tiny embedded computer boards (that can run Linux or what not), which have an ethernet port. You'd need to add some kind of enclosure yourself eventually.

Finished product, almost no work? Same thing as above is also sold in pretty cases, but for more $.

But then again, the small size eventually costs extra.

If I had to do something like this, I'd probably build something around this module, which pretty much already has everything you need, short of a source of power. Just add a tiny 3.3V voltage regulator (tons of simple ones under $1) and a small battery and you're done (or even use power from a USB port, even a zener could also work for this) Obviously, some electronics, networking and programming knowledge is required. It's about as small as it's going to get and not too expensive.

Edited by crahak

• 2 weeks later...