system.ini and win .ini

mitsukai

I couldnt tell you when during the install they get created or why they are needed much beyond the stock 16 bit support answer that seems to be frustrating you. Both of mine drop in blank and msconfig lets you uncheck processing those items on startup, so mine sit never being accessed.

rephrase..

by WHAT is it needed?

Don't laugh... by calc.exe. :D

And others. Some "smart" copy protection shemes (trial programs) - DRM would be too heavy word for it - also insert themselves there.

And take a look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping

In theory, you could get rid of a good part of your registry by deleting that key (don't try it!).

GL

If you removed 16-bit support then you don't need system.ini nor win.ini and can safely delete them. Although, they are just text files they take up a pittance of space. If you remove 16-bit support, NTVDM is DEFUNCT. Programs that need system.ini won't be able to run and therefore there would be no need for them anymore.

I've even removed autoexec.bat, config.sys, msdos.sys and io.sys from the root of the drive. Someone said Windows wouldn't boot after deleting these files, they were probably running 9x/ME where it's actually required.

I wonder who here thinks "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" works in NT-based Windows (i.e. XP).

Edited by redxii

well what annoys me most is that these files are there in my fresh install!

i wonder if anyone could make a custom XP installater. and if someone could... is it legal?

and i have a few questions are ntkrnlpa.exe and command.com allso really needed???

Edited by mitsukai

System.ini and win.ini can be found in the i386 folder and are copied like all other files. SYSTEM.IN_ & WIN.IN_. If you just plain delete them from the disk you will get a file copy error.

Don't delete ntkrnlpa.exe, that is your kernel.. command.com is 16-bit, since you already removed 16-bit support command.com can no longer function. It is NOT needed, nor was it ever at anytime used, for batch files (.bat).