Question regarding Bus speed with a RAID Card

Hi everyone,

I have an ARC-1230 Card which runs at 8X in a PCIe slot. I emailed Tech support at areca to ask if it would reduce performance running this card in a 4X slot and they said

Dear Sir,

put this controller into a x4 slot will not impacted performance, because the performance bottleneck of this controller is not the external bus but the internal bus. the internal bus speed is similar as x4 PCIe bus.

So i asked What internal bus he was referring to and got the answer:

Dear Sir,

i mean the processor internal bus.

What does everyone here think? :wacko:

Thank you

EDIT:

What im thinking is that i will buy an Asus board that has the Nvidia 750i chipset or higher as i know that they have 2 PCI lanes @ 16X. Then i can put the card in a 16X slot, that way it will definitely run ok.

Edited by eyeball

Looks like poor communication between people to me, but I think he/she is talking about the CPU, the Intel IOP333 I/O processor, that controls the RAID card. Although the connector is based on a PCI-E 8x, it could be exchanging data on a PCI-E 4x speed.

Personally I would stay away from any nvidia chipset and go with an AMD Chipset when you use an AMD CPU and Intel when you use an Intel CPU.

Just my 0.02...

Thanks PuntoMX and jCarle, thats good advice from both of you. :)

If i assume then that the bus between the north and south bridge is the bottleneck and go with an Asus board with an Intel chipset then all should be ok :)

Thank you

P.S i did ask the guy if he had any documentation on this in my first email but he didnt say anything other than what i quoted, its a shame really as it would be nice to have a KB article or something on this type of thing.