external monitor problem

nail

I just purchased a new wide screen LCD TV that I would like to use as an external monitor for my laptop. It is connected by a RGB cable. I went into my xp display settings and clicked on the 2nd plug and play monitor. I set the screen resolution at 1024x768. The box is checked that says, “Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor”. What happens is that the external monitor only displays the window’s xp background and nothing else. No icons or toolbar. I’ve tried different resolutions where the display is smaller than the actual screen size, so I know the icons or toolbar is not off the screen (again, just the background is displayed). 1024x768 is a perfect fit. What settings do I have to change to get the icons and toolbar to show up on my external monitor? They show up on the laptop (primary) screen just fine. Thanks for your help.

You do not need to "Extend your desktop". Extending the desktop does exactly what it says. It extends the desktop but does not replace your laptops LCD with it. With extending the desktop, you can drag windows to your external monitor.

What you need to do is click on Fn + F7 or Fn + X, where X is the key that displays the external monitor icon on your Fn keys. You may have to click a couple of times until your laptop LCD blanks out and your desktop is displayed on your external monitor.

I hope you don't have nVidia. I'm having a hell of a time getting my sister's laptop with vista to connect to my HDTV. Seems to be the nVidia drivers.

As spacesurfer suggests, if you want is 2 screens with the same image, use the function key to toggle screens.

What you did is "adding desktop space" probably on the right of your laptop's screen (see the mouse if you drag it to the far right?). That space has the same background as your first screen but no icon. That's normal.

Thank you all for your help. You guys are the best. Spacesurfer, you hit the nail right on the head. I wasn’t familiar with the fn key. I unchecked the box for extending my desktop to the second monitor and pressed the fn key and the f4 (monitor) key, and was able to toggle between the two screens, and both had my icons and toolbar. Everything is fine now. Thanks ever so much. Problem solved!!!