halmacpi in setup.log when using halacpi.dll

jhcw

Hi,

I'm having a problem with an Image I'm deploying. Image is created on a Lenovo T400 and I'm deploying it to T42 models as well

I've gotten over the problems with boot up freezing etc. by switching HAL (by whatever method; copying files, boot.ini, sysprep). But I'm still having one problem.

After I've changed hal to halacpi.dll and kernel to ntoskrnl.exe, it starts up nicely and seems to fine. The only exception is, that on my T42 laptops, the WLAN adapter cannot be installed. It shows as "network controller" in device manager, and when I try to update the drivers manually, it tells me that I don't have the right ones. Now, I know for sure that the drivers are the correct ones.

The WLAN led is not turning on under the screen as it's supposed to.

I've installed all other drivers (chipset, power management, etc) without any problems whatsoever. The system shows as "Advanced Configuration And Power Interface" in device manager.

When I check registry for HAL, it tells me that it's got "acpipic_up".

When I check c:\windows\repair\setup.log, it tells me:

hal.dll=halmacpi.dll

ntkrnlpa.exe=ntkrpamp.exe

ntoskrnl.exe=ntkrnlmp.exe

whereas I get

hal.dll=halmcpi.dll

ntkrnlpa.exe=ntkrnlpa.exe

ntoskrnl.exe=ntoskrnl.exe

on our T42 specific Image and when installing xp sp3 from CD. WLAN works properly on those machines. I've also tried both images on same laptops and several laptops to rule out defective parts.

Help would be apprieciated!

-jon

EDIT: Seems like I somehow managed to post in the wrong forum, would appreciate if someone could move it to the correct one..

Edited by jhcw

Ah, forget it.. Setup log is old.. seems like I need a break. :blushing: Well.. Have to try to figure something else for the wireless adapter..

Compare the Hardware ID that Device Manager has for your non-installed device to the ones listed in the INFs for the drivers you are trying to install. If you only have an EXE to install with, you should be able to expand it using WinRaR.

My guess would be that something is left behind from the build on the lovely centrino 2 t400. The universal image i had that I could deploy on any box I could get my hands on puked on any of the centrino 2 processor systems i tried it on. Seems those machines had to have a certain HAL installed in order to start up. I also know that Lenovo in their infinite wisdom has been know to tie some of their drivers to a specific HAL, amongst other things.