[NEWS] ReactOS 0.3.7 Released

patchworks

Version 0.3.7 got delayed due to a couple of blocker bugs, however they are fixed now and we are ready to release.

This release along with the rest of the 0.3.x series is still considered alpha quality software.

ReactOS 0.3.7 continues further work on the main three principles of current ReactOS development: bugfixes, compatibility and stability.

Changes summary

A consolidation of all changes in great details can be found in the changelog. Summing up the most important changes:

• Improved x64 architecture support
  • The start of a real MSVC compiler support project
  • Kernel improvements and bugfixes in quite a few parts: Configuration Manager, IO Manager, KE, Memory Manager, Object Manager, Process Manager
  • Network stack improvements: leakage fixes, increased functionality
  • Filesystem driver fixes, making them more compatible with the Microsoft NT cache manager
  • Win32 subsystem improvements and synching of most of the Wine usermode DLLs

:angel

For those of us that know nothing about this, and are far far too lazy to go google it... how about some info on what exactly it is and what the goal of the project is, and a link to download and more info etc?

Never know more people might like to actually be involved and help out with development and testing etc :)

ReactOS® is a free, modern operating system based on the design of Windows® XP/2003. Written completely from scratch, it aims to follow the Windows® architecture designed by Microsoft from the hardware level right through to the application level. This is not a Linux based system, and shares none of the unix architecture.

The main goal of the ReactOS project is to provide an operating system which is binary compatible with Windows. This will allow your Windows applications and drivers to run as they would on your Windows system. Additionally, the look and feel of the Windows operating system is used, such that people accustomed to the familiar user interface of Windows® would find using ReactOS straightforward. The ultimate goal of ReactOS is to allow you to remove Windows® and install ReactOS without the end user noticing the change.

Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.7 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is not recommended for everyday use.

More info: www.reactos.org

Edited by FthrJACK

I find it pointless. Unless your entire application folder is freeware you will at least have to pay for a software once in your lifetime. I would rather pay for a copy of windows that I will use for 7+ years than to go with something like this. I mean I know there are people who aren't so lucky and all but to me really windows pays off itself. Linux, I can understand. It's different from windows and supports/doesn't support different things. This is just a copy of windows... :sneaky: