vista Reports hard drive as full

ner

.. But is empty?

Hi all

I have a second hard drive that is around 200GIG's during installation i also formatted this drive, so its all clean and not used.

I created a ghost image of my C drive and saved this on the second drive - without any issues. The file created by ghost was some 12.7 Gigs.

Re-booted into Vista and connected my USB drive and copied the ghost image file from the second hard drive onto the USB disk.

All went OK also.

I then deleted the ghost image file from the second hard drive and then Vista reported the drive as full!!.

Righclip on properties showed, working....

after re booting system the drive shows as empty ?

does anyone have any ideas what happened?

Hard to say, although since Windows gets a good portion of this information from the MFT and the chipset driver/disk controller driver, it's at least possible that the driver didn't complete it's IRP during the delete, or didn't update the MFT, etc. Which a reboot would of course clear...

I can (educated) guess with the best of 'em ;).

thanks for the info,

now thats a little worrying as i downloaded the lastest chipset software from intel, as HP did not have the vista version just for xp

so it may be a driver issue then

downloaded and installed version 9.1.0.1007 from intel and installed using the /OVERALL switch

and the problem is sorted

May have been an issue with SP1 maybe

either way sorted

thanks