select computer and workgroupname from list

lki_dk

Hi,

i am new to the unattended installations.

My situation is that i need to create unattended installations of Windows XP (32bit) for a lot of ships.

Each ship have between 5 and 10 computers onboard. All PC's are in a workgroup that is named by the ships name

Each PC have a fixed name, related to their location/usage on the ship.

My question is now, is it possible to create an unattended installation that will prompt the user to select workgroupname and computername from drop-down lists ?

It is not an option for me to have the users to type anything in manually (previous experience tells me that there will always be mistakes)

Please note that there are no internet connection available on the ships, so all installation will have to be done "offline".

Hope that someone can help me out on this. :)

Best regards.

I'd also be interested in ideas as to how to make the OPs idea work. I install 5 machines, want to name each at the start of the install and install different apps depending on the name (ie DESKTOP1, DESKTOP2, DESKTOP3 get same apps but LAPTOP1 and LAPTOP2 get different apps from the DESKTOPs)

Is there a way? Or must it be done at the end of the install?

You could run an app during runonce that gave the drop downs to select computer name and workgroup and then make the needed changes to the registry and reboot.

Same kind of thing could be done with applications.