Is this posible ?

jslegers

Hello,

I have an issue which I want to know if it is possible. I have five different computers:

HP D330 (ATA)

HP DC5000 (ATA)

HP DC5100 (SATA)

HP DC5700 (SATA)

HP DC5800 (SATA)

I have made an Windows XP installation CD (nLite) with all the drivers for the different machines (including sata drivers). I have installed this image to the HPD330. I then made an image using ZENWorks and restored it on the DC5800. When I start the DC5800 it comes in a loop while booting XP. When I disable automatich reboot after error it comes with an BSOD with an 0x0000007b error. This means it has problems with it controller driver. I have tried sysprep but it gives the same error.

Is it posible to make one image for all the type computers the customer has, or do I have to make two images. One for ATA enabled computers and one for SATA enabled computers. I thought the drivers of the SATA controller are already in the installation of Windows XP it should work on a SATA enabled machine.

Does any one have any experience with this kind of installation ?

I do not know how ZenWorks handles images but you can't add a Mass Storage driver to an existing XP image. So say you have a machine with XP, you can't put a different driver in there and then capture it and redeploy it. I mean, I think it is possible but it is quite a lot of trouble. It would be better if you create images for each Mass Storage Controller (and HAL) or just use an unattended network installation.

• 2 weeks later...