Cannot Start 1.4.9.1

oao

I posted this problem in the 1.4.9.1 thread, but got no reply:

With both new versions of the download when I try to install it in Win2000, it pops a DOS cmd window and issues the following:

Event Source: Application Popup

Event Category: None

Event ID: 26

Date: 9/11/2008

Time: 12:19:25 PM

Application popup: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem : C:\DOCUME~1\FABIAN~1\Desktop\NLITE-~1.EXE

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

CS:054b IP:0207 OP:63 6f 6e 74 65 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Also, I am unable to download 1.4.9.1 with even "Save as" via IE6. I can only do it with NS7.

Pls advise.

I posted this problem in the 1.4.9.1 thread, but got no reply:

With both new versions of the download when I try to install it in Win2000, it pops a DOS cmd window and issues the following:

Date: 9/11/2008

Time: 12:19:25 PM

Application popup: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem : C:\DOCUME~1\FABIAN~1\Desktop\NLITE-~1.EXE

CS:054b IP:0207 OP:63 6f 6e 74 65 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Also, I am unable to download 1.4.9.1 with even "Save as" via IE6. I can only do it with NS7.

Pls advise.

Most Illegal Instruction errors are the result of a corrupted temp file already stored on the system in question. Clear out all Temp folders, reboot and then try it again. The built-in Disk Cleanup utility (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup) seems to do an adequate job as long as you select the "Temporary Files" and "Temporary Internet Files" options.

Post back and let us know if this helps. :thumbup

I am using CCleaner on a regular basis, so I doubt that is the reason.

Nevertheless, I checked and deleted all temp files. and the error persists for both the installer and zip versions.

Also, you did not answer my 2nd question: why I cannot download either version of the program with IE6, but only with NS7 and using the "save as" option.

oao,

NS7 - NetScape 7? Do you have a DL accelerator? If so, turn it off and try again. Perhaps your security SW is interfering with the DL and/or the install. Did you check the MD5 after DL, if not re-DL and check the MD5. Is nLite or the installer set to run in 16 bit compatibility mode? What error do you get on the IE6 DL? Are you DLing from the nLite site, if not DL again from the nLite site and check the MD5.

Enjoy, John

>NS7 - NetScape 7?

Yes.

>Do you have a DL accelerator? If so, turn it off and try again.

Nope.

>Perhaps your security SW is interfering with the DL and/or the install. Did you check the MD5 after DL, if not re-DL and check the MD5.

Perhaps. But apparently NS7|Save as is not affected, so I doubt it. I have downloaded both versions twice with same result.

>Is nLite or the installer set to run in 16 bit compatibility mode?

I did not do anything of the kind. Something puts it in that mode, either itself or something else.

>What error do you get on the IE6 DL?

Event Type: Information

Computer: FABIAN

Description:

Application popup: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem : C:\DOCUME~1\FABIAN~1\MYDOCU~1\DOWNLO~1\NLITE-~1.EXE

CS:054a IP:0207 OP:63 6f 6e 74 65 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

That's the error I get for the installer.

For the DL I get:

Error

Enable your referrer and download from the Download page, if it doesn't work with the left click try the right click - 'Save Link As'

If you're not sure how it is blocked then temporary disable Firewalls, Antivirus or some other Privacy tool you might currently have active.

Here is a guide on this topic.

My windows is up to date.

I downloaded and installed HashTab, but have no clue what to do with it. Here are the MD5s:

3C29656A99295E819FA2FE44F814AE42 nlite installer

4ADFA0D4BEB690A9D9BDF34E8CD4F9ED downloaded file

CB0EFF52EE9AB11D63D5D6000116E334 nlite self-extracter

4ADFA0D4BEB690A9D9BDF34E8CD4F9ED downloaded file

Note that both downloaded files have the same MD5 -- is that correct? What does this mean?

Yes, as stated earlier I downloaded from the nLite site.

oao,

It looks like you have a bad DL. I have attached a screen shot of my Hashes for nLite 1.4.9.1. You have no need for the archive, so delete that. The size (not size on disk) should be: 2.54 MB (2,665,796 bytes). Check this against the properties of your nLite installer.

To use HashTab, you highlight and copy the MD5 from the nLite site, then paste into 'Hash Comparison:' area of the properties on the DLed file. See my attached shot. Notice the big green check to the left, if you do yours, you will see a big red x. Why the hashes for the two files are the same tells me you DL the same file twice, or whatever error you are getting is killing the files the exact same way. Look at the size of the installer.

BTW, I do not see where you say you DLed from the nLite site.

When you get a good DL (hashes agree), then try your install again. Perhaps, again, it is your security SW.

Good luck, John.

Well, since I had downloaded the file more than once and got the same result for both versions, it's weird.

Anyway, I deactivated both the firewall and the antivirus, I downloaded it again and I got the same result.

oao,

I DLed nLite 1.4.9.1 from all four of the options in the nLite site and all had the correct MD5. I suggest you need to determine what the error is concerning your machine. Perhaps PM nuhi, asking about you problem.

Enjoy, John.